By the Numbers
Photo courtesy of Dr. Pepper Dallas Cup
U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team vs. Club Atletico River Plate
April 13, 2014 | Cotton Bowl | Dallas Cup
USA - Ben Spencer (Jordan Allen) 15
CARP - Alan Arario 18
CARP - Braian Molina (Juan Kaprof) 34
USA - Rubio Rubin (Jordan Allen) 74
USA - Ben Spencer 79
USA: 1-Zack Steffen; 2-Shaquell Moore, 21-Jesus Vazquez (13-Erik Palmer Brown, 46), 5-Sullaiman Dainkeh, 3-Michael Amick (15-John Requejo Jr, 77), 6-Kellyn Acosta, 16-Lynden Gooch, 10-Romain Gall (14-Amando Moreno, 77), 11-Rubio Rubin (17-Luis Felipe, 85), 9-Ben Spencer, 23-Jordan Allen (20-Benji Lopez, 88)
Subs Not Used: 12-Santiago Castano, 24-Zach Pfeffer
Head Coach: Tab Ramos
CARP: 1-Barga Batalla; 4-Pablo Carreras, 2-Braian Molina, 6-Leandro Vega, 3-Franco Federico, 20-Lucas Martinez Quarta, 17-Alan Arario (7-Claudio Salto, 62), 8-Matias Sanchez (14-Nicolas Fittaioli, 71), 11-Julio Zuniga (18-Joaquin Serrago, 80), 10-Juan Kaprof, 9-Lucas Boye
Subs Not Used: 19-Tomas Andrade, 13-Ullua Barboza, 5-Braian Musarella, 12-Ramon Velazco
Head Coach: Claudio Vagliente
|Shots on Goal||3||4|
CARP - Lucas Martinez (caution) 27
USA - Jesus Vazquez (caution) 33
CARP - Leandro Vega (caution) 78
USA - John Requejo (caution) 85
CARP - Nicolas Fittaioli (caution) 86
USA - Lynden Gooch (caution) 90+2
CARP - Claudio Salto (caution) 90+3
CARP - Pablo Carrera (ejection) 90+4
CARP - Barga Batalla (caution) 90+5
U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team vs. Eintracht Frankfurt
April 14, 2014 | Richland College Field #10 | Dallas Cup
USA - Benji Lopez (Zach Pfeffer) 43
USA - Zach Pfeffer (Lynden Gooch) 48
USA - Romain Gall (Paul Arriola) 87
USA: 12-Santiago Castano; 2-Shaquell Moore (6-Kellyn Acosta, 46), 13-Erik Palmer Brown, 18-Trevor Haberkorn, 15-John Requejo Jr, 16-Lynden Gooch (11-Rubio Rubin, 56), 17-Luis Felipe (23-Jordan Allen, 76), 14-Amando Moreno, (10-Romain Gall), 7-Paul Arriola, 20-Benji Lopez, 24-Zach Pfeffer
Subs Not Used:, 1-Zack Steffen; 5-Sullaiman Dainkeh, 9-Ben Spencer
Head Coach: Tab Ramos
EIN: 22-Julian Bibleka; 2-Marco Meyerhoefer, 5-Ozgur Ozdemir, 13-Moussa Ouattara, 3-Niclas Mohr, 6-Hermann Dorner, 7-Eray Eren, 8-Illia Azouaghi, 10-Joel Gerezgiher, 18-Raffael Grigorian (20-Clay Verkaj, 17), 11-Marvin Helm
Subs Not Used: 1-Yannick Zummack, 4-Viktor Talevski, 9-Noah Michel, 12-Yannick Wolf, 14-Miklas Kunzel, 15-David Roesler, 16-Manuel Konate Lueken, 17-Loris Weiss, 19-Fabian Lifka, 21-Dominik Reining
Head Coach: Daniyel Cimen
|Shots on Goal||6||2|
EIN - Clay Verkaj (caution) 57
USA - Benji Lopez (caution) 77
USA - Amando Moreno (caution) 70
EIN - Julian Bibleka (caution) 84
USA - Erik Palmer-Brown (caution) 90+4
20-year-old Sporting KC midfielder Jimmy Medranda | Photo by USA Today Sports Images
With today's roster move to waive defender Josh Gardner -- at age 31, the oldest player on Peter Vermes' squad -- Sporting Kansas City ranks third among Major League Soccer's 19 teams with an average age of 25.34 years. Midfielder Jimmy Medranda (pictured above) is the youngest player to appear for the team this season at age 20 and is one of eight players eligible for MLSsoccer.com's "24 under 24" in 2014 along with Christian Duke, Kevin Ellis, Mikey Lopez, Alex Martinez, Erik Palmer-Brown, Oriol Rosell and Soony Saad.
At age 16, Palmer-Brown remains the youngest player in MLS -- born six months before the league's second youngest pro, Chivas USA forward Caleb Calvert.
|1. Vancouver Whitecaps||24.58||Marco Carducci (17)|
|2. Columbus Crew||25.30||Wil Trapp (21)|
|3. Sporting KC||25.34||Erik Palmer-Brown (16)|
|4. FC Dallas||25.41||Kellyn Acosta (18)|
|5. Philadelphia Union||25.47||Zach Pfeffer (19)|
|6. D.C. United||25.48||Michael Seaton (17)|
|7. Toronto FC||25.54||Jordan Hamilton (18)|
|8. New England Revolution||25.66||Diego Fagundez (19)|
|9. Real Salt Lake||25.80||Jordan Allen (18)|
|10. Houston Dynamo||25.84||Bryan Salazar (19)|
|11. Colorado Rapids||25.88||Charles Eloundou (19)|
|12. Chicago Fire||26.09||Grant Ward (19)|
|13. LA Galaxy||26.10||Bradford Jamieson IV (17)|
|14. Chivas USA||26.23||Caleb Calvert (17)|
|15. Montreal Impact||26.43||Maxime Crepeau (19)|
|16. Portland Timbers||26.47||Alvas Powell (19)|
|17. New York Red Bulls||26.95||Matt Miazga (18)|
|18. Seattle Sounders||27.17||Aaron Kovar (20)|
|19. San Jose Earthquakes||27.31||Tommy Thompson (18)|
Sporting KC secured three points at home on Saturday in large part because of another solid defensive performance.
The Earthquakes were held to one shot on goal, 41% of possession, one corner kick, and passing accruacy under 70%. Digging deeper, San Jose's chances were limited with their lone shot on goal coming in the fifth minute and only four shots in the final 85 minutes of the match. It's only the third time since the start of the 2012 season that San Jose has been held to one shot on goal and the second lowest shot total.
Overall, Sporting Park is has become a fortress for Sporting KC. In 2013, the club had eight shutouts and a 0.88 goals against average in 17 regular season matches. Things have continued this season with one goal conceded in three matches (0.33 goals against average) with two victories and one draw in all competitions.
With last night's shutout, Sporting KC fans can receive 50% off any regular priced online order at a local participating Papa John's by using the code 'SPORTINGKC' at checkout. This offer is valid through today (Monday).
|Sporting KC||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Shots (on goal)||17 (4)||4 (1)|
Photo by USA Today Sports Images
That's a wrap. Sporting Kansas City's 2014 preseason came to a close on Saturday night at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Kissimmee, Fla. and while the team had to settle for a second place finish in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic, Claudio Bieler's 87th minute volley capped off a phenomenal preseason as the Designated Player enters his second MLS campaign in 2014. After leading the team with 11 goals in MLS competition last year, Bieler started 2014 with five goals and six assists in seven preseason appearances.
Check out the full stat sheet below...
Heading into Wednesday's group stage finale against the Montreal Impact (watch live at 7 p.m. CT on SportingKC.com), Sporting Kansas City sits atop Group B with six points following wins over the New York Red Bulls and Fluminense FC U-23's.
|Sporting Kansas City||2||0||0||4||0||4||6|
|New York Red Bulls||1||1||0||3||1||2||3|
|Fluminense FC U-23||0||2||0||0||4||-4||0|
With a win or draw on Wednesday, Sporting Kansas City will advance to Saturday's championship match (live on WatchESPN at 7 p.m. CT) to face Group A winners Columbus. However, Sporting Kansas City could still go through with a loss based on tournament tiebreakers:
IF TWO TEAMS TIE
- Head to head result
- Net goal differential
- Most goals scored
- Least goals allowed
- Minus 1 game point for each red card/send-off
- Coin toss. The team whose home city is first alphabetically will call the coin toss
"If more than two teams are involved in a tie, tiebreaker number 2 (net goal differential) will be used first to rank the teams. If teams are still tied, tiebreaker number 3 (most goals scored) will be used to rank the teams, and so on until a tie is broken. Once a team has been ranked higher or lower, the tiebreaking procedure begins for the remaining tied teams with number 1. If more than two teams are still tied after tie breaker number 5 a coin toss will be held with the odd team being eliminated. The tiebreaking procedure begins for the remaining tied teams with number 1."
Translation? If Sporting KC loses by one and New York wins by one during their respective games on Wednesday, the winner of Group B would utimately come down to the head-to-head result between the two sides -- a tiebreaker that favors the MLS Cup champions courtesy of their 1-0 win over the Supporters' Shield holders last week.
So keep an eye on the scoreline when the New York Red Bulls and Fluminense FC U-23's meet at 2 p.m. CT on Wednesday. A New York victory by a one-goal margin could put the scenario in play for Sporting to take the Group B title should the team slip by a single goal against Montreal later that night.
Photo by USA Today Sports Images
Sporting Kansas City departed for Orlando, Fla. today for the team's second and final phase of the 2014 pre-season. With three exhibition matches already completed during the Arizona leg, the team has seven more scrimmages scheduled. A quick summary of pre-season leaders thus far:
- Total number of players to log minutes: 33 (8 guest trialists)
- Most minutes played: Claudio Bieler, C.J. Sapong and Eric Kronberg (149)
- Most goals scored: Sal Zizzo and C.J. Sapong (2)
- Most assists: Claudio Bieler (2)
Check out the full stat sheet below...
2013 was an amazing year for Sporting Kansas City. The team started out with preseason in January and concluded in December at Sporting Park by winning the MLS Cup. Let's take a By The Number look at 2013.
- 45 matches in all competitions (MLS, Open Cup, CCL)
- 23 wins in all competitions
- 4000+ minutes played in all competitions
- 400,000+ fans at Sporting Park (sellouts for every MLS match this season)
- 61 goals scored in all competitions
- 16098 passes in MLS play
- 2395 duels won in MLS play
- 825 aerials won in MLS play
- 947 interceptions in MLS play
- 18 clean sheets in all competitions
- 0.82 goals against average in all competitions
- 3 MLS All-Stars (Besler, Collin, Zusi)
- 1 MLS All-Star Game at Sporting Park
- 1 USMNT World Cup qualifier at Sporting Park (Zusi game-winning goal)
- 1 Eastern Conference Championship
- 1 CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal berth
- 1 MLS Cup
This evening, Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen announced his retirement after a 19-year career. Since joining Kansas City in 2010, Nielsen has had a historic career with the club which was capped off on Saturday with the club's second MLS Championship. Let's take a closer look at The White Puma's career stats with Sporting KC.
Nielsen has the club record for goalkeeping in the following categories (MLS regular season).
- Matches Played (128)
- Matches Started (128)
- Minutes Played (11497)
- Matches Won (57)
- Shutouts (45)
- Goals Against Average (0.99)
- Winning Percentage (.575)
Along with those records, Nielsen holds the MLS record for the lowest Goals Against Average (minimum 4500 minutes played).
- Jimmy Nielsen - 0.99
- Kasey Keller - 1.06
- Donovan Ricketts - 1.10
- Bouna Coundoul - 1.13
- Pat Onstad - 1.14
And here's Nielsen's list of individual accolades earned with Sporting KC.
- 2012 MLS Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year
- 2012 MLS Best XI
- 2012 MLS All-Star
- 2012 Team MVP
- 2012 MLS Save of the Week (7, 13-15, 18, 19, 31, 32)
- 2011 Team MVP
- 2010 MLS All-Star
- 2010 Team Defensive Player of the Year
- 2011 MLS Save of the Week (19, 21, 25, 32)
Finally, here's Nielsen's all-time MLS stats with Sporting KC.
|MLS - TOTAL||138||138||12457||454||319||49||135||0.98||6||8||62||41||34|
- First time in MLS history for two former MLS players to meet as coaches in MLS Cup.
- Both teams have won MLS Cup once before: KC (2000), RSL (2009).
- Sporting KC is 8-5-3 all-time against Real Salt Lake in the regular season (no postseason meetings) and have lost at home only once in the series (2009).
- Real Salt Lake has never scored at Sporting Park in two previous trips.
- Saturday's match (Dec. 7) will be the latest in the year in MLS history.
- Sporting KC in MLS Cup for third time in team history (2000, 2004, 2013). Sporting KC has played the third most postseason games (41) among all teams in MLS history behind the Chicago Fire (43) and LA Galaxy (64).
- Since 1998, Sporting Kansas City has only one home playoff loss: a 2-0 defeat to the Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference Championship in 2011. The team is 12-1-2 at home over that span.
- Sporting KC has the second most regular season home wins (150) in MLS history behind only the LA Galaxy (166).
- Sporting Kansas City has played 44 games in all competition this season (MLS, MLS Cup Playoffs, U.S. Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League). Sporting KC has lost only one match by more than one goal across 44 games in all competition.
- Sporting KC has held opponents to a goal or fewer in 30 of the team's 38 MLS matches this season.
- Sporting KC used 30 different lineups in 38 MLS matches this season due to injuries, international duty, etc.
- Sporting KC was 15-2-3 with nine straight wins in the regular season in 2013 when scoring first and 11-1-1 with eight straight wins when leading at halftime.
- Sporting KC was 13-0-1 in the regular season in 2013 when leading at the 75th minute and 0-9-0 when trailing at the 75th minute.
- Paulo Nagamura leads all Sporting KC players with 13 postseason appearances and is only player on the team's roster to have played in an MLS Cup (2005).
- Seth Sinovic and Jimmy Nielsen have started all 19 of the team's wins in MLS competition (including playoffs) this season, earning two more victories than any other player in MLS.
- Seth Sinovic has started and played every minute in each of the team's last 20 MLS matches, the longest active games played streak on the team. Sinovic leads all Sporting KC players with 3,613 minutes played in all competition this season.
- Six Sporting KC players to have started all nine of the team's playoff matches in the last three seasons: Jimmy Nielsen, Matt Besler, Aurelien Collin, Chance Myers, Seth Sinovic and Graham Zusi.
- Dom Dwyer has scored 26 goals across all competition, including goals in six different competitions: MLS regular season, MLS Cup playoffs, USL Pro regular season, USL Pro playoffs, U.S. Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League.
- Saturday will be Dwyer's second league final in 2013.
- Dom Dwyer leads all MLS players with six shots on goal in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Jimmy Nielsen's 0.86 goals against average in the postseason is fourth best in MLS history among goalkeepers with 300 minutes played.
- Aurelien Collin (24) and Matt Besler (23) lead all players in the postseason in interceptions.
- Oriol Rosell has won 19 of 20 tackles in the postseason, a success rate of 95%. His 20 tackles rank second most by any player in the postseason.
- Graham Zusi has completed the most dribbles (9) of any player in the postseason.
- Sporting KC is 17-0-2 when C.J. Sapong scores in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Peter Vermes became the second coach in MLS history to win 17 or more regular season games in back-to-back seasons in non-shootout era.
- Vermes led the second youngest roster in MLS to a postseason berth for third consecutive season and within one point of Supporters' Shield.
- Among the top six teams in 2013, Sporting KC was only team with a single Designated Player.
REAL SALT LAKE
- Real Salt Lake is in MLS Cup for second time in team history (2009).
- Seven current members of Real Salt Lake were on the 2009 MLS Cup winning squad, with six in the starting lineup (Nick Rimando, Nat Borchers, Chris Wingert, Robbie Findley, Kyle Beckerman and Javier Morales).
- Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando have played every minute of all 18 playoff games in Real Salt Lake team history.
- Real Salt Lake is 7-8-4 (.474) on the road in 2013 in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Jason Kreis' three wins and .750 winning percentage are best among coaches in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Robbie Findley has scored in back-to-back postseason matches for Real Salt Lake. He is RSL's all-time leading scorer in the postseason with six goals.
- Real Salt Lake is the top scoring team in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs with 1.75 goals per game and the top defensive team in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs with a 0.69 goals against average.
- Real Salt Lake has won each of their last three MLS Cup Playoffs games this postseason. Their road win on Nov. 24 snapped a seven-game road winless streak in the postseason dating back to 2009.
- Javier Morales' nine postseason assists ranks him eighth on the MLS all-time chart. His four game-winning assists in the postseason are fourth most in MLS history, one shy of the all-time record held by Marco Etcheverry, Cobi Jones and Brian Mullan.
- Javier Morales has created 21 chances in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs, the most by a player in the postseason in the last three years.
- Nick Rimando's 0.69 goals against average is best among all goalkeepers in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Nick Rimando's 30 postseason games played, 106 saves, 13 wins and 12 shutouts are third most in MLS history. His next shutout will tie Zach Thornton for second most on the MLS all-time chart.
- Kyle Beckerman's nine postseason cautions ranks him fourth on the MLS all-time chart.
- Nick Rimando led MLS with two penalty kicks saved in the 2013 regular season.
- Sporting KC is 11-5-3 (.658) at home in 2013 and 32-11-13 (0.688) at Sporting Park since the stadium opened in 2011 in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- MLS Cup is being held in Kansas City for the first time. Sporting Park is the first stadium to host the MLS All-Star Game, U.S. Men’s National Team and MLS Cup in the same year.
- Sporting Park is the only venue to host the U.S. Men's National Team each of the last three years.
- Saturday's match will be the 36th consecutive MLS sell out at Sporting Park dating back to 2012.
- Sporting Kansas City set a new club attendance record of 335,058 (19,709 per match) for the 2013 Major League Soccer regular season. The number improves on last season’s record attendance average of 19,404.
Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 64 goals in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013, including a league best 58 goals from inside the penalty area and 37 right footed goals.
- Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 187 shots on goal in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 16,855 passes and 13,442 successful passes in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013. RSL led MLS with 9,925 passes in their opponent's half in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 25,221 touches in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 43 clean sheets in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 19 penalties conceded in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake leads MLS with 19 goal assists from dead ball in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake leads MLS with a 71.94% passing accuracy in their opponent's half in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- The club's 79.75% passing accuracy was also best in MLS, including a 91.08% passing accuracy in their own half, in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Additionally, the team's 66.55% passing accuracy in the final third was best in MLS during the 2013 regular season.
- Real Salt Lake had the highest save percentage (93.02%) in MLS for shots from outside the penalty area in 2013.
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake has the highest save percentage (72.62%) in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Real Salt Lake had the most penalty kick goals (6) among all MLS teams in the 2013 regular season.
- Javier Morales' 118 chances created (incl. assists) in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 are most in MLS. Graham Zusi ranks third with 94.
- Javier Morales' 77 chances created from open play in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 are most in MLS.
- Javier Morales' 1,462 passes in the opponent's half and 941 passes in the final third in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 are most in MLS. His 1,153 successful passes in the opponent's half in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 also lead the league.
- Javier Morales' 2,677 touches are the most in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Kyle Beckerman's 2,068 passes in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 are most in MLS, followed by Javier Morales with 1,946. Beckerman's 1,700 successful passes in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 also lead the league.
Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting KC led MLS with a 29.94% accuracy rate on crosses/corners in the 2013 regular season.
- Since 2011, Sporting KC led MLS with 622 crosses/corners in the regular season.
- Since 2011, Sporting KC led MLS with 214 successful corners into the penalty area in the regular season.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 431 chances created (incl. assists) in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 98 chances created from set play in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Since 2011, Sporting KC leads MLS with 32 goal assists from set play in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Since 2011, Sporting KC led MLS with 896 chances created from open play in the regular season.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 575 shots in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 4,573 duels and 2,315 duels won in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 1,441 aerials and 798 aerials won in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 814 tackles and 626 tackles won in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 1,272 clearances (incl. punches) and 808 headed clearances in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 917 interceptions in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC led MLS with the fewest corners conceded (134) in the 2013 regular season.
- Sporting KC led MLS with fewest goals conceded (30) in the 2013 regular season, including a league low 25 from inside the penalty area.
- Sporting KC led MLS with the fewest shots conceded (301) and shots on goal conceded (100) in the 2013 regular season.
- Sporting KC led MLS with 92 headed shots and 14 headed goals during the regular season. Sporting KC leads MLS with 38 headed shots on goal in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 565 fouls conceded and 488 fouls won in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting KC leads MLS with 71 cautions in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Aurelien Collin leads MLS with 14 cautions in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013. Oriol Rosell ranked second with 10.
- Since 2011, Sporting KC has the fewest goalkeeper drops (4) in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Aurelien Collin's 342 clearances, 284 duels won, 256 headed clearances and 159 aerials won are most in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Oriol Rosell's 149 interceptions are most in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013. Aurelien Collin ranks second with 141.
- Graham Zusi's 145 corners in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 are most in MLS, including a league high 53 successful corners into the penalty area.
- His 90 successful crosses/corners in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013 also lead the league.
- Graham Zusi leads MLS with 57 chances created from set play in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013.
- Sporting Kansas City was second in possession with 55.22% in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013, trailing only Real Salt Lake (55.59%).
- Since 2011, RSL (54.75%) and Sporting KC (53.05%) rank first and second in possession in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Sporting KC (17) and Real Salt Lake (16) lead all playoff teams in headed shots in the postseason. No other team had more than 10.
- Real Salt Lake had the second most road wins (7) in MLS competition (including playoffs) in 2013, behind only Sporting KC (8).
- Since 2011, Sporting KC led MLS with 229 chances created from set play in the regular season. Real Salt Lake ranked second with 185.
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake and Sporting KC are tied for the MLS lead with 180 cautions in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Since 2011, Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City have had the two best defenses in Major League Soccer among teams that competed all three seasons. Sporting Kansas City (105) and Real Salt Lake (121) have allowed the fewest goals in MLS competition (including playoffs). Sporting KC (1,028) and Real Salt Lake (1,150) also had the fewest shots faced in the regular season.
- Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake have won the most MLS matches (including playoffs) of all teams in 2013 with 19 victories each.
- Sporting Kansas City leads all 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs teams with 74 shots in the postseason. Real Salt Lake is second with 55.
- Benny Feilhaber's 13 chances created in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs are second most behind Javier Morales (21).
- Javier Morales leads all players with three assists in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs. Sporting Kansas City's Benny Feilhaber is second with two.
- Peter Vermes could become the second individual in league history to win MLS Cup as player (2000, KC) and coach.
- MLS Cup 2013 could be C.J. Sapong's 100th game played in MLS competition (including playoffs).
- Chance Myers will celebrate his 26th birthday on the day of MLS Cup (Dec. 7).
Sporting Kansas City returns to the MLS Cup for the first time since 2004 as they host Real Salt Lake on December 7. The two sides have met once this season with Sporting KC earning a dramatic 2-1 win at Rio Tinto Stadium on July 20. Sporting KC is making their third appearance in an MLS Cup while Real Salt Lake is making their second. Both teams have won the MLS Cup once in club history.
A few in-depth stats (MLS Cup Playoffs)
- Matt Besler leads MLS with 24 interceptions
- Real Salt Lake's Javier Morales leads MLS with 21 chances created
- Uri Rosell leads MLS with 20 tackles won
- Javier Morales leads MLS with 189 passes in the opponent's half
- Aurelien Collin leads MLS with 47 aerial duels won
- Real Salt Lake's Kyle Beckerman leads MLS with 64 passes into the final third
All-Time Records (MLS Cup Playoffs)
Sporting KC: 17-18-6 (15-4-2 at home)
Houston: 7-6-5 (2-4-4 on the road)
2013 MLS Cuo Playoffs Leaders
|Sporting KC||Stat||Real Salt Lake|
|Aurelien Collin 2||GOALS||Findley/Schuler 2|
|Feilhaber 2||ASSISTS||Morales 3|
|Uri Rosell 8||FOULS COMMITTED||Schuler/Saborio 7|
|Feilhaber/Zusi 9||FOULS WON||Beltran/Findley/Morales 6|
|Benny Feilhaber 13||CHANCES CREATED||Javier Morales 21|
|Matt Besler 24||INTERCEPTIONS||Chris Schuler 14|
|Jimmy Nielsen 6||SAVES||Nick Rimando 6|
2013 MLS Cup Playoffs Team Stats
|Sporting KC||Real Salt Lake|
|Goals Scored (Allowed)||7 (4)||6 (3)|
|Shots (on goal)||74 (20)||55 (19)|
|Fouls Committed (Suffered)||54 (65)||62 (53)|
|Passes per match||451||401|
|Duels Success Rate||52.21%||49.68%|