Sporting Kansas City advanced to the fifth round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup tournament defeating Minnesota United FC 2-0 last night. Goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum, affectionately known as G-baum, recorded a shut out in his first competitive match for the team. Ever vocal, G-baum is shouting about something and we need you to tell us what! The winning entry will receive two (2) tickets to our next home match against the Portland Timbers on June 24 as we continue our Open Cup run. All submissions must be in by 5:30p.m. CT on Friday. Good luck!
Cast your vote below for the Man of the Match for Sporting Kansas City's 2-0 victory over Minnesota United FC at Sporting Park. Voting is open until Thursday evening.
- Must be following @SportingKC_SCN on Twitter or like the page on Facebook
- Must tag @SportingKC_SCN in the tweet or post their picture to the Facebook page
- Must include the hashtag #ForClubAndCountry in the social media post
- Must include a picture of an SCN member watching a World Cup game, while wearing their SCN team gear or Sporting KC attire.
- For Club And Country limited edition SKC/USMNT Scarves: three (3) to be given away to SCN members after each USMNT game, as well as the World Cup Final
- GRAND PRIZE – Four (4) match tickets to Sporting KC vs. Manchester City (face value of $60/each) at Sporting Park on July 23rd
- VOTE NOW: Pick your All-Star Fan XI
Sports anchors Jason Lamb and Al Wallace provide a behind-the-scenes look at the Kansas City native's transition to the world stage. Besler, along with his parents Greg and Diane, share a sampling of moments that help to quantify the magnitude of Matt's recent success and his selection to Jurgen Klinsmann's 23-man roster. Watch part three of the series below.
The 2014 Community MVP Contest, presented by Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo, is now accepting nominations through July 6.
Fans are encouraged to nominate themselves or others who have used the game of soccer to make a positive impact in their community in one of the following areas:
- Social Issues focusing on acceptance, equality and inclusion
- Health Issues affecting men, women or children
- Community Service for a local, national or international charity or community organization
After the July 6 nomination deadline has passed, each of MLS' 19 clubs will select a winner to be entered into the Grand Prize pool. The Grand Prize winner, who will be selected by a combination of online and Twitter votes (using the hashtag #CommunityMVP), and his or her nominator will win a trip for two to the 2014 AT&T MLS All-Star Game in Portland. Each club's winner will be announced July 10, with the Grand Prize winner voting running through July 25.
For more information and to nominate your Community MVP, click over to www.mlssoccer.com/communitymvp.
Sporting KC captain Matt Besler, defender Kevin Ellis and Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman each made an appearance on Kansas City's Sports Radio 810 WHB on Tuesday to discuss happenings with both club and country. Listen to Besler's segment on the Border Patrol, Heineman's call in to Between the Lines and the full episode of the Sporting KC show below.
On the Border Patrol, Matt Besler discusses his time with the U.S. Men's National Team as it undergoes final preparations for Brazil:
Kevin Ellis joins The Sporting KC Show to talk about re-joining Sporting KC midseason and adjusting to an ever-changing back line at Sporting Park: