Inaugural Kevin Gray Father’s Day Weekend Event Announced
The Kansas City Sports Commission and Foundation is proud to announce the Inaugural Kevin Gray Father’s Day 5K Run will be held Saturday, June 16 at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. The event will celebrate the life of Kevin Gray, former President of the KC Sports Commission, and recognize his contributions to the Sports Commission and our community. It’s fitting the event will be held on Father’s Day weekend, as KG valued the role of father to his four remarkable daughters above all else.
The 5K Run will also coincide with honoring the 2012 Kevin Gray Player of the Year awards. Details and nomination forms are available at www.sportingkc.com/kevin-gray-awards.
- Event: Inaugural Kevin Gray Father’s Day 5K Run & Walk and Kid’s Fun Run
- Time/Date/Place: 8 a.m.; Saturday, June 16, 2012; LIVESTRONG Sporting Park (Kansas City, KS)
- 5K Course: LIVESTRONG Sporting Park, Community America Ballpark and Kansas Speedway
- Registration: Detailed information and event registration available at www.SportKC.org/KGRun2012
- Cost: Early-bird fees (through March 25): $20 for individuals; $17 family/team (3+); $10 for kid’s fun run; discount ticket offer for the June 16 Sporting KC match
- Kevin Gray Family Educational Fund — established to help offset the expenses for Kevin and Katy’s four daughters to complete their educations.
- K.C. Sports Commission and Foundation — the organization that Kevin led from 1989 to 2011. KG led the revitalization of the Sports Commission from a one-person office to a multifaceted, privately-funded nonprofit that includes year-round programming, services and initiatives.
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center — dedicated to the discovery, development and implementation of knowledge, technology and novel therapeutic agents for the treatment and prevention of adult sarcomas — the form of cancer that took Kevin’s life way too soon.
About the Greater Kansas City Sports Commission and Foundation Since its beginning in 1966, the Kansas City Sports Commission and Foundation has aimed to enhance the quality of life and economic success of Greater Kansas City by taking the lead in maintaining and selectively acquiring a diversity of amateur and professional sporting events; collaborating with area economic development agencies to attract and retain amateur and professional sports organizations; and promoting the lifetime benefits of sports for the youth of Greater Kansas City. The organization has helped generate in excess of $750 million in estimated economic impact on the surrounding Kansas City metropolitan area since 1990. Additionally, the Sports Commission sponsors more than 20 annual events including youth clinics, annual community and membership activities and community‐sponsored athletic events. For more information, visit http://www.sportkc.org