Sporting Kansas City begins the knockout phase of the 2013-14 CONCACAF Champions League with a quarterfinal clash against Mexican side Cruz Azul. The first leg of the two-legged series starts on Wednesday night at Sporting Park and concludes on March 19 with the second leg in Mexico City. The two sides have never met previously but both won domestic league titles in 2013.
Cruz Azul advanced to the quarterfinals with a 4-0-0 record in Group 3 including two 3-0 victories at home and two 2-1 wins on the road. Overall, the club has had great success in the CONCACAF Champions League with five titles and finishing as runner-up on two occasions. For Sporting KC, the team finished top of Group 2 behind two solid road victories and allowing only one goal in four matches.
Below is a closer look at the two teams in this match's By The Numbers preview.
A few notable stats
- Cruz Azul currently lead the Liga MX table with a 8-1-1 record and 25 points, three ahead of second place Toluca
- In all home matches in 2013, Sporting KC's goal against average was 0.81 (10 shutouts)
- Cruz Azul's last match at an MLS team in CCL was in 2010 when they lost 3-1 at Rio Tinto Stadium against Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC's record against Mexican teams in CCL is 1-2-1 which includes a 3-2 aggregate win over Santos Laguna in 2002
CCL Team Leaders (2013-14)
|Sporting KC||Stat||Cruz Azul|
|Soony Saad 2||GOALS||Achille Emana 4|
|Feilhaber/Collin/Zusi 1||ASSISTS||Mariano Pavone 3|
|Eric Kronberg 0.25||GAA||Guillermo Allison 0.66|
CCL Team Stats (2013-14)
|Sporting KC||Cruz Azul|
|Goals Scored (Conceded)||5 (1)||10 (2)|
|Fouls Committed (Suffered)||62 (61)||58 (47)|
Previous Appearances in CCL (including Champions Cup)
- Appearances (3) - 2002, 2005, 2013-14
- Best Finish - Semifinals (2002)
- Overall Record - 5-3-4
- Appearances (10) - 1969, 1970, 1971, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2013-14
- Best Finish - Champions (1969, 1970, 1971, 1996, 1997)
- Overall Record - 39-11-9