Stadium Construction Timeline
- Developer asks Wyandotte County officials for permission to use revenues from existing tax increment financing in the Village West area to help finance the soccer complex.
- New stadium plans officially announced for site near Village West in Kansas city, Kansas (Sept. 9th)
- Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman, provides an update on the stadium situation via team website and blog stating the Kansas City, Kansas location as final, pending signature. (Dec. 17th)
- Construction equipment placed on the Legends site waiting to break ground. (Dec. 21st)
- Wyandotte County approves the bonds to help finance the stadium. (Jan. 19th)
- Groundbreaking ceremony was made as Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman, using heavy machinery, moves dirt on the construction site. (Jan. 20th)
- Excavation process begins in the main bowl and the west side of the stadium
- Excavation process continues and is ongoing until about 350,000 yards of dirt is moved.
- Piers begin to be drilled 42” in diameter and filled with rebar; then surrounded by concrete to create a bearing surface for the structure.
- The first permanent tie back wall is formed of concrete on the south side of the complex proceeds
- Construction personnel move into trailer at stadium site.
- Mass excavation process continues in the main bowl and is near completion.
- Installation of the new electrical duct-bank has started.
- Wall placement begins to form the lower wall at field level west.
- Mass excavation process is completed in most areas.
- Structural steel erection commences at northwest corner proceeding south and then east (installing about 25 pieces of steel each day; 2,500 pieces total).
- Steel signing ceremony held for supporters.
- Installation of north field walls and intermediate walls started.
- Storm sewer installation has started on east side of France Family drive.
- Installation of drilled piers and structural steel erection is ongoing.
- Concrete placement has started along field wall footings and is near completion.
- Installation of steel decking has begun in field bowl and main club levels
- First set of roof trusses arrive for staging at stadium site.
- Pre-cast treads and risers arrive at stadium site. (Pre-made seating foundation)
- Installation of pre-cast treads and risers begins.
- Structural steel erection and roof decking installation is ongoing.
- Concrete placed for exterior walkway
- First roof truss is installed atop the steel frame. (19-ton trusses individually lifted by crane, rotated, and set in place carefully by 12 workers; 1-2 trusses installed each day with 42 total)
- Metal stud framing begins for suites and press boxes
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber visits the stadium site and is extremely impressed with the facility and the thought behind it.
- Roof deck installation for the entire west building is completed.
- Installation of pre-cast treads and risers continues.
- Forming of intermediate stairs has started.
- Storm and sanitary sewer installation is substantially completed along East France Family drive.
- Precast erection is ongoing as work on the supporters section (the Cauldron) begins.
- Metal stud framing is ongoing in concourse, suite and press levels as field level installation begins.
- South scoreboard support steel begins.
- Team visits site and tours new locker room facility.
- 3/4 of roof trusses have been installed.
- East stands treads and risers have been installed and completed.
- All field walls have been poured.
- Canopy decking on trusses under way.
- Burnished block/installation for concessions on main concourse commences.
- Curtain wall installation on west tower approaching completion.
- Final roof truss is installed and metal decking is started to enclose building.
- Topping out ceremony held (Oct. 6th)
- Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman projects the stadium to be 41% complete
- Work on ground stair commences.
- Stacking glass doors to suite-level starts.
- Conduit wiring for sports lighting and speakers begins.
- Canopy decking installation is ongoing.
- Polycarbonate leading edge installation to canopy commences.
- Preparation for field level installation begins.
- Installation of playing field service track has begun.
- Ceiling grid, stud wall framing and insulation is ongoing at all levels.
- Tile for bathroom floors and walls is ongoing as painting begins.
- Conduit and wire-pulls for sports lighting and speakers is ongoing as installation of the speakers and sports lighting begins.
- Lights and speakers installed on roof canopy.
- LED module installation commences.
- Subgrade drainage and installation for field commences.
- Finishes commence at field level west.
- Installation of soffits and television frame at the Cauldron Club begins.
- Installation of press media platform steel begins.
- KC Commercial Real Estate Women awards Sporting Park as Project of the Year.
- SubAir heating and cooling technology installed under playing surface.
- LED panels installed for the HD video board at south end.
- Seat installation begins.
- Cabinet installation commences at suite and press levels - Polycarbonate installation to canopy is ongoing.
- Installation of storefronts at retail building and metal panels at concession stands is ongoing. - South scoreboard module installation is complete. - Locker installation at field level commences.
- Sporting Park opens in front of a packed crowd on June 9, 2011.
- Sporting Park hosts group stage matches for the 2011 Gold Cup.
- Sporting Park hosts friendly between Sporting Kansas City and Newcastle United.
- Sporting Park hosts Farm Aid 2011 with musical guests Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young, Jason Mraz and Dave Matthews Band.
- Buzz Beach Ball 2011 with guests Incubus and Tool is held at Sporting Park.
- Sporting Park hosts friendly between United States Women’s National Team and the Canadian Women’s National Team.
- Sporting Park hosts friendly between Sporting Kansas City and Chivas de Guadalajara.