Coming off their first win of 2015, Sporting Kansas City is back home for a nationally televised Easter Sunday matchup against the Philadelphia Union at Sporting Park. The game will air live on Fox Sports 1, Fox Deportes, Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM.
Last Saturday’s victory at New York City FC lifted Sporting KC (1-1-2, 5 points) into a tie for fourth place in the Western Conference, while the Union (0-2-2, 2 points) enter Sunday tied for last in the East and winless through four matches. However, Philadelphia is undefeated in their last three trips to Kansas City, winning two, and face a Sporting KC side that has just one victory in their last seven MLS matches at Sporting Park dating back to August 2014. We preview Sunday's match in the latest edition of By The Numbers.
- Philadelphia is undefeated in their last three trips to Sporting Park (2-0-1).
- The home team in the series has just one win in the last six regular season meetings (1-4-1).
- As a member of Columbus Crew SC, Bernardo Anor had three goals and one assist in three matches against Philadelphia in 2014.
- Dom Dwyer has scored in two straight games against Philadelphia—on May 14, 2014 at Sporting Park and on Oct. 18, 2014 at PPL Park.
- Cristian Maidana recorded a goal and two assists in two games against Sporting KC last year, including the game-winning goal on May 14, 2014 at Sporting Park.
- Conor Casey has scored six goals in 12 regular season matches against Sporting KC.
- In the midst of a 197-minute shutout streak dating back to March 14, including two straight clean sheets.
- Leads MLS in shots (54) and chances created (43).
- Leads MLS with 121 interceptions, 34 more than any other team.
- Leads MLS with 260 duels won and 97 aerial duels won.
- Ranks second to last in MLS with 61.4 percent passing accuracy in the attacking half of the field.
- Ike Opara leads MLS in the following statistical categories: interceptions (25), clearances (36), headed clearances (25), aerial duels won (23) and goals scored among defenders (two).
- Has conceded six goals through Week 4, tied for most in MLS.
- Leads MLS in tackles won (74), dribbles completed (46) and passes failed (428).
- Fernando Aristeguieta, a Designated Player on loan from French club FC Nantes, leads MLS with 15 shots and ranks second with seven shots on goal.
- Maurice Edu is tied for second in MLS with 37 duels won.
- Vincent Nogueira is fourth in MLS with 185 successful passes.
Milestones and miscellany
- Sunday is Sporting KC's 600th regular season match all-time and their 300th at home.
- Sporting KC has scored 997 goals across all competitions in team history.
- Manager Peter Vermes' 77 regular season wins are 13th most in MLS history. With a win on Sunday, he could move into a tie for 12th place all-time.
- Paulo Nagamura is one shy of his 75th career MLS appearance for Sporting KC.
- If Jalil Anibaba plays 25 minutes on Sunday, he will reach the 10,000-minute mark for his MLS career (including playoffs). He would be the seventh player on Sporting KC's roster to reach the milestone (Matt Besler, Paulo Nagamura, Chance Myers, Jacob Peterson, Seth Sinovic and Graham Zusi).
Team stats (2015 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis
|Goals scored||3 (t-10th)||3 (t-10th)|
|Goals conceded||4 (t-10th)||6 (t-18th)|
|Shots||54 (t-1st)||45 (10th)|
|Assists||3 (t-11th)||1 (18th)|
|Chances created||43 (t-1st)||36 (t-6th)|
|Crosses/corners||73 (t-10th)||80 (t-6th)|
|Fouls committed||50 (10th)||49 (t-11th)|
|Fouls suffered||57 (6th)||62 (t-4th)|
|Passes per game||348 (17th)||418 (9th)|
|Passing accuracy||72.4% (18th)||74.4% (15th)|
|Possession||46.7% (14th)||50.2% (11th)|
|Tackles won||74 (1st)||67 (2nd)|
|Interceptions||121 (1st)||59 (t-14th)|
Recent regular season meetings
- Sporting KC vs. Philadelphia Union: 4-4-4 (14 GF, 15 GA)
- Sporting KC at home in series: 2-2-2 (7 GF, 6 GA)