Sporting Kansas City kicks off their 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup campaign in the fourth round against USL expansion side Saint Louis FC on Tuesday at Sporting Park. The matchup will be the first ever competitive meeting between Sporting KC and a St. Louis club. A live stream, presented by Sprint, will be available on SportingKC.com following a pre-game radio show from 7-7:30 p.m. CT on Sports Radio 810 WHB.
Coming off their Week 15 bye in MLS competition, Sporting KC is riding a seven-game unbeaten run and a four-game home winning streak. The club has a 5-0-1 all-time record in the U.S. Open Cup round of 32 and hasn't suffered elimination in this phase of the tournament since 2000.
Saint Louis FC, meanwhile, hasn't lost in six games across all competitions. That streak includes a 3-1 penalty shootout win over NASL club Minnesota United in the U.S. Open Cup third round on May 27. Bryan Gaul, who leads the club with five goals, received a red card in that match and will miss tonight's contest. We examine the matchup in our By The Numbers preview...
- SKC is a two-time winner of the Open Cup, lifting the Dewar Challenge Trophy in 2004 and 2012.
- SKC is one of four MLS clubs with multile Open Cup titles (Chicago 4, Seattle 4, D.C. 2).
- SKC has a 5-0-1 record in the Open Cup round of 32 and hasn't suffered elimination in this phase of the tournament since 2000.
- SKC is 12-5-3 all-time against non-MLS teams in the Open Cup.
- SKC has posted five shutouts in their last eight Open Cup matches dating back to 2012.
- If Chance Myers plays tonight, it will be his first competitive match since May 23, 2014 (389 days).
- Chance Myers leads current SKC players in Open Cup competition with 11 appearances, 10 starts and 915 minues.
- Matt Besler and Graham Zusi haven't made an Open Cup appearance since the 2012 final, a penalty shootout win over Seattle at Sporting Park.
- Only four SKC players -- Myers (2), Zusi (2), Paulo Nagamura and Jacob Peterson -- have scored an Open Cup goal for the club.
Saint Louis FC
- STLFC is unbeaten in six games and has drawn each of their last four matches in all competitions by a 1-1 scoreline (including a 3-1 PK shootout win over Minnesota United in the Open Cup third round).
- STLFC has conceded more than two goals just once in 13 games this season (all competitions).
- Eight of STLFC's last nine goals in all competitions have been scored in the second half.
- Seven STLFC players boast MLS experience, including veteran defender Brandon Barklage who made 69 top-flight appearances with three different clubs from 2009-2014.
- Bryan Gaul leads Saint Louis FC with five goals across all competitions, including two in the Open Cup, but will miss tonight's match on a red card suspension.
- Jeremie Lynch has scored four goals for Saint Louis FC in all competitions, including a 97th-minute winner in extra time of a 2-1 Open Cup second round win over the Des Moines Menace on May 20.
- Defender Sam Fink is the only Saint Louis FC player to start all 11 USL matches. He has scored two goals, including an equalizer in Saturday's 1-1 draw against the Harrisburg City Islanders.
- Forward Mike Ambersley has contributed two goals and one assist in 11 USL appearances.
- New Zealand international defender/midfielder James Musa had played every minute of Saint Louis FC's 2015 season until Saturday when he was rested in a 1-1 draw against Harrisburg City.
- Mark Pais holds No. 1 goalkeeper duties with a 1.04 goals against average in eight games across all competitions.
- Though Saint Louis FC is competing in the U.S. Open Cup for the first time, the city of St. Louis has been home to the tournament's champion on 10 previous occasions, most recently in 1988. The city's 10 total Open Cup titles are tied with Philadelphia for second most, behind only New York City.
2015 Team Stats and Info
|Sporting KC||Category||Saint Louis FC|
Major League Soccer
United Soccer League
|6-2-6 (24 pts.)||League record||3-3-5 (14 pts.)|
|3rd in West||League position||8th in East|
|22 (1.57)||Goals (per game)||13 (1.17)|
|15 (1.07)||Goals allowed (per game)||13 (1.17)|
|184 (53)||Shots (on goal)||111 (51)|
|168 (160)||Fouls committed (suffered)||90 (115)|
|22 (1)||Cautions (ejections)||15 (1)|
2015 League Leaders
|Sporting KC (MLS)||Category||Saint Louis FC (USL)|
|Krisztian Nemeth 6||Goals||
Bryan Gaul 3
Jeremie Lynch 3
|Benny Feilhaber 7||Assists||Five players tied 1|
|Dom Dwyer 36||Shots||
Bryan Gaul 22
Jeremie Lynch 22
|Dom Dwyer 11||Shots on goal||Bryan Gaul|
Benny Feilhaber 2
Krisztian Nemeth 2
|Game-winning goals||Three players tied 1|
|Benny Feilhaber 23||Fouls committed||Jacob Bushue 13|
Kevin Ellis 3
Roger Espinoza 3
|Cautions||James Musa 5|
|Matt Besler 1||Ejections||Jeremie Lynch 1|
|Luis Marin 720||GK minutes played||Mark Pais 540|
|Tim Melia 0.50||Goals against average||Mark Pais 1.17|
|Tim Melia 4||GK wins||Mark Pais 2|
|Tim Melia 4||Shutouts||
Mark Pais 1
Alec Kann 1
|Luis Marin 19||Saves||Alec Kann 25|