For the first time in the 25-year history of Major League Soccer, the month of February will mark the start of regular season play. On Feb. 29, clubs across the United States and Canada will step between the white lines with hopes of collecting three points to begin 2020.
A delectable opening day of MLS action will see Sporting Kansas City visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 9:30 p.m. CT, giving supporters their first real look at Manager Peter Vermes’ side since last October.
As the anticipated date approaches, SportingKC.com is rolling out a 28-day countdown to first kick, offering a comprehensive preview of the season ahead. From key storylines and positional breakdowns to new fan initiatives and perks at Children’s Mercy Park, our Countdown to Kickoff series highlights the many reasons to be pumped for Sporting’s 2020 campaign. To visit the series homepage as it expands, head to SportingKC.com/countdown.
With excitement growing by the day, Sporting Kansas City fans have plenty to look forward to as the new campaign beckons. To make date-saving easier for supporters at home, we've listed the club's 2020 calendar highlights in the space below.
Sporting's key dates for the 2020 season
- Friday, Feb. 28: MLS Roster Compliance date
- Saturday, Feb. 29: Sporting's regular season opener at Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Saturday, March 7: Sporting's home opener vs. Houston Dynamo at Children's Mercy Park (get tickets)
- March 23-31: FIFA International window
- Friday, April 10: U.S. Open Cup Third Round draw (Sporting learns first opponent)
- April 21-23: U.S. Open Cup Third Round (Sporting enters tournament)
- Tuesday, May 5: MLS Primary transfer window closes
- May 19-20: U.S. Open Cup Round of 32
- June 1-9: FIFA International window
- June 4-7: 2020 Concacaf Nations League Final Championship
- June 9-10 or June 23/24: U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- June 12 – July 12: UEFA Euro 2020
- June 12 – July 12: 2020 Copa America
- June 20 – July 5: 2020 Concacaf U-20 Championship
- June 23-24 or July 14-15: U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals
- Tuesday, July 7: MLS Secondary transfer window opens
- July 14-15 or Aug. 11-12: U.S. Open Cup Semifinals
- Wednesday, July 29: MLS All-Star Game in Los Angeles (MLS All-Stars vs. Liga MX All-Stars)
- Wednesday, Aug. 5: Secondary transfer window closes
- Aug. 11-12 or Sept. 22-24: U.S. Open Cup Final
- Aug. 31 – Sept. 8: FIFA International window
- Tuesday, Sept. 1: MLS Roster Freeze date
- Sunday, Oct. 4: Sporting's MLS regular season finale vs. New York City FC
- Oct. 5-13: FIFA International window
- October: MLS Cup Playoffs begin
- Saturday, Nov. 7: MLS Cup 2020
- Nov. 9-17: FIFA International window