The newest episode of The Call Up with MLSsoccer.com's Susannah Collins and Jillian Sakovits is must-see viewing for any Sporting Kansas City fan.
That's because captain Johnny Russell has stolen the show. The newly appointed Sporting Kansas City captain and longtime fan-favorite touched on a number of insightful topics this week—specifically his relationship with Manager Peter Vermes, his love for Kansas City, his role as the club's go-to prankster and plenty more.
- 12:45 Welcome Kansas City Captain Johnny Russell
- 13:04 Captain conversation with Peter Vermes & leading SKC
- 17:14 On-field vs. off-field Johnny Russell
- 18:38 2021 SKC scouting report
- 20:54 Scotland to Kansas City
- 25:25 What Johnny Russell loves about USA
- 26:55 Growing up in Glasgow
- 30:45 Johnny Russell the prankster
- 34:45 Johnny Russell’s beverage of choice
- 36:20 Johnny Russell and Daniel Salloi in the wild
Russell has come off the bench in each of Sporting's first two matches this season—a road win at the New York Red Bulls and a home draw with Orlando City SC.
The 31-year-old Scottish international could be in line for a greater role Saturday when Vermes' men travel west to face rivals Real Salt Lake in a 1 p.m. CT kickoff at Rio Tinto Stadium. Supporters can catch the action live on Bally Sports Kansas City Plus, Bally Sports Midwest Plus, the Bally Sports app, BallySports.com, ESPN 94.5 FM and La Grande 1340 AM.