"By The Numbers" presented by Compass Minerals is a season-long series that gives a statistical preview of every Sporting match. To visit the series archive, click here.
A pair of MLS originals and Western Conference hopefuls will write the next chapter in their 28-year history on Saturday when Sporting Kansas City (0-1-2, 2 points) visits FC Dallas (1-1-1, 4 points) at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. CT with live coverage on Apple TV (free in English and Spanish), ESPN 94.5 FM and 1510 AM, and La Grande 1340 AM.
Sporting were nothing short of dominant in last weekend's stalemate against the LA Galaxy and were unlucky not to open their 2023 scoring account on home soil. A mere look at league-wide statistics, however, suggests that Sporting's attacking initiative will begin to bear fruit, and Manager Peter Vermes' side will head south lacking no confidence against a formidable FC Dallas outfit that features a consistent backline and a number of dangerous difference makers.
We take a statistical look at the matchup in our newest edition of By the Numbers, presented by Compass Minerals.
- Sporting have recorded three regular season road wins at Dallas since 2018. Minnesota United FC (two wins) is the only other club with more than one road win over Dallas during that time. Dallas have gone 42-13-26 at Toyota Stadium since 2018.
- Sporting earned two road victories over Dallas in 2021, becoming the first team since 2003 to win twice at Dallas in a single regular season.
- The clubs last met on the final day of the 2022 regular season, with Dallas claiming a 2-1 win on Oct. 9 at Toyota Stadium. Graham Zusi scored for Sporting, while Sebastian Lletget and Paul Arriola scored for the hosts.
- Sporting hosted Dallas twice last season in all competitions, earning a 2-2 regular season draw on April 30 before prevailing in a 4-2 extra-time thriller in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 on May 10.
- Sporting are 2-6-2 in their last 10 regular season meetings against Dallas since 2019.
- Sporting forward Daniel Salloi has six goals and two assists in 13 regular season appearances against Dallas, including three goals in his last three matches at Toyota Stadium.
- Sporting defender Graham Zusi has four goals and eight assists in 22 regular season appearances against Dallas. Those 12 total goal contributions against Dallas are his most versus any MLS opponent.
- Sporting forward Khiry Shelton has two goals in seven regular season appearances against Dallas.
- Dallas forward Jesus Ferreira has four goals and two assists in nine regular season appearances against Sporting.
- Dallas midfielder Paul Arriola has scored or assisted in each of his last three regular season appearances against Sporting, including a goal and an assist when the clubs last met on Oct. 9, 2022.
- Dallas owns a narrow edge in the all-time regular season series, posting a 29-27-14 record through 70 meetings.
- Sporting are 0-4-2 in their last six regular season home meetings against Dallas at Children’s Mercy Park, a skid that began in July 2018.
Introducing Hoops 4.0
Sporting Kansas City
- 2023 MLS record: 0-1-2, 2 points (10th in West | 0 GF, 1 GA)
- 2023 MLS away record: 0-1-1 (0 GF, 1 GA)
- Last 3 Matches: 0-1-2 (L-T-T)
- Sporting lead MLS in shots (58), shots on target (26) and key passes (48) while ranking second in shooting accuracy (70.3%). Entering Week 4, no other club has more than 49 total shots and 19 shots on target.
- Sporting have had 11 shots on goal in each of their last two matches, marking the first time the club has recorded double-digit shots on target in consecutive regular season games since 2019 and only the fourth time in club history (1996, 2009, 2007, 2019, 2023).
- Sporting have a +30 margin in shots (58) vs. shots faced (28), the largest in MLS.
- Sporting lead MLS with five shots from fast breaks.
- With a 1-0 loss at Portland followed by goalless draws against Colorado and the LA Galaxy, this is the first time in Sporting history that a three-game stretch of the regular season has produced fewer than two total goals.
- Sporting rank third in MLS in duel percentage (53.6%) and fourth with 13 successful crosses from open play.
- Sporting lead MLS with a dribble success rate of 67.8%, completing 40 of 59 attempted dribbles.
- Midfielder Erik Thommy leads MLS in shots (17) and shots on target (10), while forward Daniel Salloi ranks second in both categories with 14 shots and seven shots on goal.
- Thommy leads MLS with 11 chances created, while Salloi is tied for third with nine.
- Salloi is tied for the MLS lead with five successful crosses from open play, while he and Khiry Shelton are tied for eighth in MLS with eight dribbles completed.
- At age 21, John Pulskamp has become the sixth-youngest goalkeeper in MLS history to record six career shutouts in the regular season. He enters Saturday with a 264-minute shutout streak, the longest of his MLS career and the second-longest shutout streak this season behind Nashville’s Joe Willis (currently 270 minutes). He also ranks fourth in MLS in save percentage at 90%.
- Midfielder Remi Walter has started 45 consecutive regular season matches for Sporting since Sept. 29, 2021. That is the third-longest active streak among MLS field players behind Jakob Glesnes (76) and Darlington Nagbe (70). He ranks fifth in MLS with 31 recoveries.
- Defender Robert Voloder ranks third in MLS with 17 recoveries in the defensive third, while defender Andreu Fontas places fourth with 16.
HIGHLIGHTS: Sporting KC 0-0 LA Galaxy | Mar. 11, 2023
- 2023 MLS record: 1-1-1, 4 points (6th in West | 4 GF, 3 GA)
- 2023 MLS home record: 1-1-0 (3 GF, 2 GA)
- Last 3 Matches: 1-1-1 (L-W-T)
- Dallas are unbeaten in their last 24 March home games in the regular season, posting an 18-0-6 record since 2012. The club’s last home loss in March came in 2011 against San Jose.
- Dallas conceded 37 goals during the 2022 regular season, second fewest in MLS behind Philadelphia (26). Similarly, Dallas conceded 15 goals in 17 home matches last season, also second fewest behind the Union (9).
- Dallas have conceded one or fewer goals in 17 of their last 18 regular season matches dating back to July 13, 2022.
- Dallas lead MLS in successful passes per match (442) while ranking fifth in possession (54.5%).
- Dallas rank 25th in MLS with seven shots on goal through Week 3. They have recorded 11 shot attempts in each of their first three matches.
- Dallas rank 27th in MLS in shooting accuracy (30.4%).
- Dallas lead MLS in headed duel success rate (64.8%)
- Forward Jesus Ferreira, who scored twice in Dallas’ 3-1 win over the LA Galaxy on March 4, finished fourth in MLS with 18 goals last season. He is tied for second in MLS this year with five chances created from set plays.
- Of the 36 players to record at least six goals and six assists during the 2022 regular season, 20-year-old Dallas midfielder Alan Velasco was the youngest to accomplish the feat.
- Midfielder Paul Arriola leads Dallas with two assists this season, both of which came in a 3-1 home win over the LA Galaxy on March 4.
- Midfielder Paxton Pomykal is tied for third in MLS with nine fouls suffered.
- Dallas have a regular season winning percentage of 67.8% at Toyota Stadium since the stadium opened in 2005 (154-52-80 record).
- Dallas are one of eight MLS charter members still active in the league. Their one MLS Cup appearance (a loss in 2010) is tied for fewest among the MLS originals (New York Red Bulls).
Milestones and Miscellany
- Defender Graham Zusi is one shy of his 300 regular season start for Sporting. He is set to become the sixth player in MLS history to log 300 regular season starts with a single club (Andrew Farrell with New England, Chris Wondolowski with San Jose, Diego Chara with Portland and RSL duo Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando).
- Forward Daniel Salloi’s 13 career game-winning goals are tied with Dom Dwyer and Preki for the most in club regular season history. Salloi's 38 regular season goals are tied with Kei Kamara for sixth in club history, one shy of Chris Klein in fifth.
- Midfielder Roger Espinoza is tied with Benny Feilhaber for fourth in club history with 43 regular season assists, two shy of tying Chris Klein for third.