The United States Men’s National Team will prepare for the 2022 FIFA World Cup with a match against Uruguay at 4 p.m. CT on Sunday, June 5 at Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kan., the U.S. Soccer Federation announced today. The international friendly will be broadcast live on FOX, Univision and TUDN.
Tickets for the match will go on sale to the general public beginning at 10 a.m. CT on Friday, May 6. Exclusive pre-sale opportunities will be available beginning Monday, May 2 for U.S. Soccer Insiders followed by a pre-sale for Sporting Kansas City Season Ticket Members on Wednesday, May 4 and a pre-sale for Visa cardholders on Thursday, May 5. Visit ussoccer.com for more ticket information.
“We’re looking forward to facing another high-level opponent that is also preparing for the World Cup,” said U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter. “Uruguay has some world-class talent and is one of the top teams in South America. These are the kinds of opportunities we need to continue to grow as a group and set ourselves up to be successful in Qatar. Once again we’ll have the benefit of outstanding facilities in Kansas City and a venue that has shown tremendous support for the National Team.”
The USMNT, currently No. 15 in the FIFA rankings, are unbeaten all-time in Kansas City (10-0-1) and at Children’s Mercy Park (8-0-1), which has hosted the most U.S. Men’s National Team matches of any venue since the state-of-the-art stadium opened in 2011. A candidate host city for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, KC most recently hosted the USMNT for three victorious group stage matches in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup en route to the United States capturing the team’s seventh continental championship.
Two-time World Cup champions, No. 13-ranked Uruguay fell to eventual champions France in the quarterfinals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Led by head coach Diego Alonso, Uruguay boasts an array of attacking talent including all-time leading scorers Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid) and Edinson Cavani (Manchester United) and a history of success that includes two Olympic gold medals and a record 15 Copa America titles.
In seven previous meetings dating back to the 1924 Summer Olympics, the United States and Uruguay have split the series with identical 2-2-3 records and most recently drew 1-1 on Sept. 10, 2019 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
UNITED STATES NATIONAL TEAMS IN KANSAS CITY
(15-0-5 record; 11-0-3 record at Children’s Mercy Park)
- Nov. 2, 1968: MNT vs. Bermuda (W 6-2 at Municipal Stadium)
- Oct. 7, 1999: WNT vs. Finland (W 6-0 at Arrowhead Stadium)
- Aug. 20, 2000: WNT vs. Canada (T 1-1 at Arrowhead Stadium)
- April 25, 2001: MNT vs. Costa Rica (W 1-0 at Arrowhead Stadium)
- Oct. 22, 2003: WNT vs. Italy (T 2-2 at Arrowhead Stadium)
- Oct. 16, 2004: WNT vs. Mexico (W 1-0 at Arrowhead Stadium)
- June 9, 2011: MNT vs. Guadeloupe (W 1-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- Sept. 17, 2011: WNT vs. Canada (T 1-1 at Children's Mercy Park)
- Oct. 16, 2012: MNT vs. Guatemala (W 3-1 at Children's Mercy Park)
- Oct. 11, 2013: MNT vs. Jamaica (W 2-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- Oct. 15, 2014: WNT vs. Trinidad & Tobago (W 1-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 13, 2015: MNT vs. Panama (T 1-1 at Children's Mercy Park)
- May 28, 2016: MNT vs. Bolivia (W 4-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 22, 2016: WNT vs. Costa Rica (W 4-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 26, 2018: WNT vs. Japan (W 4-2 at Children's Mercy Park)
- June 26, 2019: MNT vs Panama (W 1-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 11, 2021: MNT vs Haiti (W 1-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 15, 2021: MNT vs Martinique (W 6-1 at Children's Mercy Park)
- July 18, 2021: MNT vs Canada (W 1-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- Oct. 21, 2021: WNT vs Korea Republic (T 0-0 at Children's Mercy Park)
- June 5, 2022: MNT vs Uruguay (Children’s Mercy Park)