"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation, giving a statistical preview of every Sporting KC match.
By The Numbers - Visit the Drive to Zero Coalition for more information
Sporting Kansas City has the opportunity to make two-fold history on Thursday when the club hosts Mexican giants CF Monterrey in the decisive second leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Semifinals.
At the forefront, Sporting is aiming to reach the Champions League Finals for the first time ever. Secondly, and far more ominously, no team in the 57-year history of the Concacaf Champions' Cup and Concacaf Champions League has overturned a first-leg deficit of four or more goals to win a two-legged series.
Sporting will strive to do just that against Rayados, starting in a 5-0 hole when the teams kickoff at 8 p.m. CT Thrusday inside Children's Mercy Park. Tickets for the fixture remain available at SeatGeek.com as Manager Peter Vermes' men welcome the three-time Concacaf Champions League winners. Click here to learn how to follow the action live.
Without further delay, let's jump into our newest Champions League edition of By The Numbers.
- Sporting wins the series with: a six-goal victory.
- Monterrey wins the series with: a win, a draw, a loss by four or fewer goals, or a five-goal loss in which they score at least once (6-1, 7-2, etc.)
- The series goes straight to penalty kicks with: a 5-0 win for Sporting
- MLS record: 2-1-2 (8 points, 7th in West)
- MLS home record: 2-0-0 (9 GF, 1 GA)
- Champions League record: 3-2-0 (9 GF, 7 GA)
- Champions League home record: 2-0-0 (6 GF, 0 GA)
- 2019 leading scorer: Krisztian Nemeth (8 goals in all competitions)
- Last match: Tied 1-1 at FC Cincinnati on Sunday (MLS regular season)
Champions League Fast Facts
- Qualified as: 2017 U.S. Open Cup champion
- Best Finish: Semifinals (2019)
- All-time record: 9-6-4
- All-time away record: (6-1-2)
- Round of 16: Defeated Toluca (MEX) 5-0 on aggregate
- Quarterfinals: Defeated Independiente (PAN) 4-2 on aggregate
Stats to Know
- Sporting are a perfect 4-0-0 at home this season in all competitions, outscoring opponents 15-1.
- Sporting are 2-0-0 in competitive matches against Mexican clubs at Children's Mercy Park, defeating Cruz Azul 1-0 in the 2013-14 Champions League Quarterfinals and hammering Toluca 3-0 in the Champions League Round of 16 in February.
- In a 7-1 drubbing of the Montreal Impact on March 30, Sporting set a club record for most goals in a game and equaled a club record for largest margin of victory. Duplicating this result against Monterrey would send Sporting to the Champions League Finals.
- Sporting has scored in nine of 10 competitive matches this season, racking up 2.1 goals per game (21 total).
- MLS clubs are 6-24 against Liga MX sides in two-legged Champions League series since 2008.
- Forward Krisztian Nemeth has a team-best eight goals in eight competitive matches this season.
- Forward Gerso Fernandes has two goals and four assists this season in all competitions, including two goals and two assists in the Champions League.
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia boasts a 3-1-0 record and three clean sheets in three Champions League appearances this season.
- Liga MX record: 6-2-5 (23 points, 3rd place)
- Liga MX away record: 3-2-1 (9 GF, 10 GA)
- Champions League record: 3-1-1 (9 GF, 1 GA)
- Champions League away record: 0-1-1 (0 GF, 1 GA)
- 2019 leading scorer: Rogelio Funes Mori (8 goals in all competitions)
- Last match: Lost 5-1 at Toluca on Sunday (Liga MX)
Champions League Fast Facts:
- Qualified as: 2017 Apertura runners-up
- Best Finish: Champions (2011, 2012, 2013)
- All-time record: 30-6-7
- All-time home record: 12-4-5
- Round of 16: Defeated Alianza (SLV) 1-0 on aggregate
- Quarterfinals: Defeated Atlanta United FC (USA) 3-1 on aggregate
Stats to Know
- Since the competition's modern era began in 2008, no side has claimed more Concacaf Champions League titles than Monterrey's three. Rayados won three straight titles from 2011-2013.
- In five Champions League appearances since 2010, Monterrey owns a remarkable 30-6-7 record overall and a 12-4-5 mark on the road.
- Monterrey have never lost a two-legged series in the Champions League since the tournament's modern era began in 2008. That stretch includes a remarkable 11 straight series victories.
- Monterrey have just one win in six competitive matches since March 9.
- Rayados are 8-2-1 versus MLS opponents in the Champions League, including a 4-1-0 mark on American soil.
- Rayados are coming off a humbling 5-1 defeat at Toluca on Sunday. For what it' worth, Sporting defeated Toluca 5-0 on aggregate in the Round of 16 in February.
- Winger Dorlan Pabon and defender Nicolas Sanchez lead Monterrey with three goals in the Champions League. Pabon bagged a brace and Sanchez converted a penalty in the first-leg win over Sporting, though the latter will be suspended due to caution accumulation.