Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has acquired $190,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) for the 2023 season from the Columbus Crew in exchange for a 2023 international roster slot.
Today’s transaction leaves Sporting with seven international roster spots for the 2023 campaign. The MLS Roster Compliance Date is Feb. 24, at which time clubs must be roster and budget compliant heading into the start of the regular season.
General Allocation Money can be used to "buy down" a player's Salary Budget Charge as part of managing a club's roster, including buying down a Salary Budget Charge below the league maximum of $612,500. GAM can also be applied in the following circumstances:
- To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player who did not play in MLS during the previous season).
- To re-sign an existing MLS player.
- To off-set acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees).
- In connection with the extension of a player's contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.
- To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000.
- To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Player whose Salary Budget Charge exceeds the Maximum Salary Budget Charge to a limit of $150,000.
For more information about MLS roster rules and regulations, click here.
Sporting Kansas City will open the 2023 MLS campaign on Feb. 25 by visiting the Portland Timbers in the earliest start to a regular season in club history, then travel to face the Colorado Rapids on March 4. The new season will see the debut of MLS Season Pass, a subscription service from Apple and MLS that will show every match of the regular season, Audi MLS Cup Playoffs and Leagues Cup with no blackouts.
Sporting Kansas City will open the home portion of 2023 MLS slate on March 11, hosting longtime rivals LA Galaxy at Children’s Mercy Park. Season tickets feature exclusive benefits, including a subscription to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app and complimentary away match tickets, and are available by calling 888-4KC-GOAL or visiting SportingKC.com. Other ticket packages and promotions as well as single-match tickets for the club's first eight regular season home matches of 2023 are available via SeatGeek.
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires $190,000 in General Allocation Money for the 2023 season from the Columbus Crew (MLS) in exchange for a 2023 international roster slot.