Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has acquired $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for Felipe Gutierrez's MLS priority.
Allocation Money can be used to "buy down" a player's Salary Budget Charge as part of managing a club's roster, including buying down a Salary Budget Charge below the League maximum of $612,500.
General Allocation Money can also be applied in the following circumstances:
- To sign players who did not play in MLS during the previous season
- To re-sign an existing MLS player
- To off-set acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees)
- In connection with the extension of a player's contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year
- To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000
- To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a player whose Salary Budget Charge exceeds the Maximum Salary Budget Charge to a limit of $150,000
Sporting Kansas City will host the LA Galaxy at 7:30 p.m. CT on Saturday at Children's Mercy Park for the team's annual Sporting Salutes match presented by UMB. Tickets are available online at SeatGeek.com and the first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive Sporting Salutes lapel pins as the club recognizes local Purple Heart recipients in conjunction with National Purple Heart Day on Aug. 7.
The Western Conference clash will be locally televised on 38 The Spot with three hours of coverage beginning at 7 p.m. CT. In addition, UniMas and TUDN will nationally televise the match and provide an English-language live stream on Twitter. Radio coverage of Saturday's showdown will also air on Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM.
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from the Colorado Rapids (MLS) in exchange for Felipe Gutierrez's MLS priority.