Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has acquired a guaranteed $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in exchange for defender Jaylin Lindsey. Sporting will acquire up to $225,000 in additional General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC if certain performance incentives are met.
As part of the trade, Charlotte FC has acquired Lindsey’s Homegrown rights and Sporting will receive a 15% sell-on fee for any future transfer of the player from Charlotte.
Sunday’s transaction took place during the MLS half-day trade window and ends Lindsey’s four-year tenure at Sporting, where he started 33 of 41 appearances in all competitions with two goals and four assists.
Deployed primarily as a right back, Lindsey became Sporting’s sixth Homegrown Player when he signed as a 17-year-old in 2017. He represented the club in the MLS regular season and playoffs, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Concacaf Champions League and Leagues Cup after developing in the Sporting KC Academy from 2015-2017. He made 14 competitive appearances in 2021 and scored his first two MLS goals in road matches against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 22 and the Portland Timbers on June 19.
A native of Charlotte, Lindsey will return to his hometown as expansion side Charlotte FC prepares for its inaugural MLS campaign in the Eastern Conference.
Sporting’s roster currently stands at 19 players ahead of the 2022 MLS season. The club will continue to build its squad ahead of the new campaign, which will kick off Feb. 27 when Manager Peter Vermes’ side visits Atlanta United FC in a 2 p.m. CT showdown at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. For a full list of Sporting’s offseason roster moves, visit SportingKC.com/news/tracker.
2022 Sporting Kansas City Roster (as of Dec. 12, 2021)
- Goalkeepers (2): Tim Melia, John Pulskamp
- Defenders (4): Andreu Fontas, Nicolas Isimat-Mirin, Kayden Pierre, Kaveh Rad
- Midfielders (7): Ozzie Cisneros, Jake Davis, Cam Duke, Felipe Hernandez, Gadi Kinda, Jose Mauri, Remi Walter
- Forwards (6): Grayson Barber, Tyler Freeman, Alan Pulido, Johnny Russell, Daniel Salloi, Khiry Shelton
The calendar of Major League Soccer’s offseason roster-building events is listed below. Sporting will have the opportunity to protect up to 12 players in the 2021 MLS Expansion Draft, which will see Charlotte add up to five players to its roster for the 2022 season. The list of players eligible for selection in the Expansion Draft will be released by MLS Communications at 1 p.m. CT on Monday and Homegrown Players will be automatically protected.
MLS Offseason Roster Mechanisms
- Tuesday, Dec. 14: MLS Expansion Draft (6 p.m. CT)
- Wednesday, Dec. 15: End-of-Year Waivers (12 p.m. CT)
- Wednesday, Dec. 15: Free Agency opens (12 p.m. CT)
- Friday, Dec. 17: Re-Entry Process, Stage 1 (12 p.m. CT)
- Thursday, Dec. 23: Re-Entry Process, Stage 2 (12 p.m. CT)
- Tuesday, Jan. 11: 2022 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires a guaranteed $100,000 in General Allocation Money and up to $225,000 in conditional General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC (MLS) in exchange for defender Jaylin Lindsey.