Turn back the clock three years and Sporting Kansas City forward Soony Saad was just starting his freshman season at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. His strike partner? Columbus Crew forward and then-Wolverines senior Justin Meram. Together, the duo were two of the nation's most lethal goal scorers at the collegiate level...which is all the more impressive when you look at the current MLS players in the Top 10 of the 2010 NCAA Division I scoring chart:
- Corey Hertzog (VAN): 20 goals, 6 assists, 46 points
- Soony Saad (SKC): 19 goals, 5 assists, 43 points
- Justin Meram (CLB): 17 goals, 8 assists, 42 points
- Will Bruin (HOU): 18 goals, 5 assists, 41 points
- Darren Mattocks (VAN): 18 goals, 5 assists, 41 points
- Ryan Finley (CLB): 17 goals, 3 assists, 37 points
- Ethan Finlay (CLB): 15 goals, 4 assists, 34 points
- Levi Houapeu: 15 goals, 4 assists, 34 points
- C.J. Sapong (SKC): 12 goals, 9 assists, 33 points
- Three players tied with 31 points
Once teammates, Saad and Meram will face off on Saturday when Sporting KC hosts Columbus in a game that features five of the top nine scorers during the 2010 NCAA season. Meram and Finley arrive in Kansas City having each contributed a goal and an assist in the the Crew's 2-0 win over Houston last night, while Saad has three goals and four assists in 2013.
Check out the video below for this week's Throwback Thursday, a Saad hat trick set up by Meram on all three goals in Michigan's 3-2 overtime victory.