The Sporting KC Show Podcast, dropping throughout the season on Sports Radio 810 WHB, is now available on Spotify and iTunes. With Nate Bukaty and Carter Augustine hosting the weekly program, Sporting fans now have a place to go to catch up on club storylines, player achievements, guest interviews and more.
The man of the hour was the star of the Sporting Kansas City Show Podcast on Tuesday night.
Midfielder Benny Feilhaber, who completed his return to Sporting last Wednesday in a trade from the Colorado Rapids, joined hosts Nate Bukaty and Carter Augustine to discuss his decision to return to Kansas City, bringing a newborn son into the world, how he envisions himself fitting into the squad and the challenges posed by Vancouver Whitecaps FC, whom Sporting face at 7:30 p.m. CT Saturday inside Children’s Mercy Park.
True to form, Feilhaber also shared some friendly banter about fatherhood and fondly recalled the Benny Feilhaber Show, the 2014 YouTube series co-starring former Sporting teammate Sal Zizzo.
Sporting KC Show Podcast: Episode summary
- 2:46 – The Whitecaps are 3-1-1 in their last five matches under first-year head coach Marc Dos Santos, who previously led the Swope Park Rangers to the 2016 USL Western Conference championship before winning the 2017 NASL title with the San Francisco Deltas and serving as an LAFC assistant coach last year.
- 5:45 – Sporting slipped to a narrow 1-0 loss at D.C. United on Sunday despite a spirited performance that packed plenty of improvement from the home loss to Atlanta United FC a week earlier.
- 15:50 – Feilhaber joins the show, revealing that he has fully settled back into Kansas City with his wife and three kids. The family is currently renting the home of Diego Rubio, who moved from Sporting to the Rapids last December.
- 18:38 – Feilhaber describes the happiness of welcoming a newborn son into the world, adding him into the mix with two older daughters.
- 22:20 – Feilhaber reflects on his experience playing against Sporting as a member of Colorado on March 17
- 25:10 – Feilhaber says he is capable of playing in all three midfield positions, but acknowledges the team is at its best when Ilie Sanchez operates as the holding No. 6.
- 28:24 – Feilhaber expects a pragmatic approach to be employed by Vancouver on Saturday, characterized by deep defending and counter-attacking.
- 32:45 – Dos Santos joins the show, positively recalling his days in Kansas City as the Rangers head coach in 2016 before moving to different challenges with the San Francisco Deltas in 2017 and expansion side LAFC last year.
- 42:25 – Dos Santos takes pride in being a Canadian-born coach for Vancouver and aspires to be the best Canadian-born coach in the sport.
- 45:18 – Vancouver had a difficult preseason because of the amount of player turnover and the fact that many new members were late arriving due to visa issues. Now that the Whitecaps have gotten to know each other, the results are beginning to follow. The club has taken 10 of its last 15 possible points.
Tickets for Saturday’s match between Sporting and Vancouver are available at SeatGeek.com as Manager Peter Vermes’ men begin a three-game homestand to conclude the month of March. The game will also be covered live on FOX Sports Kansas City Plus, FOX Sports Midwest Plus, FOX Sports GO, Sports Radio 810 WHB and ESPN Deportes KC 1480 AM.