As part of Major League Soccer's regular season schedule release through the month of September, the league also confirmed how the 2020 postseason will unfold.
The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs will once again consist of single-elimination matches hosted by the higher-seeded team. The competition will follow a straight bracket format through MLS Cup on Dec. 12.
- 18 total clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs: 10 from East, 8 from West
- Western Conference: Top 8 teams qualify directly to Round 1
- Eastern Conference: Only the top 6 seeds qualify directly to Round 1. Seeds 7-10 will each compete in a play-in match:
- No. 7 seed vs. No. 10 seed
- No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed
- Lowest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 1 seed in East
- Highest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 2 seed in West
The complete playoff match schedule and postseason TV coverage will be announced at a later date.