Sporting Kansas City has joined Major League Soccer and EVERFI, the leading social impact education innovator, to participate in the Black History Month Challenge.
This new initiative provides middle and high school students a digital course on Black history, addressing racial injustice and economic inequality while celebrating important moments and facts about Black history with the goal of inspiring enduring conversations about race and equality among young people.
Students ages 13 and older who complete the course and submit an essay are entered into a contest for the chance to win prizes valued up to $20,000, including a $10,000 college scholarship.
The Black History Month Challenge features a 30-minute course on topics such as Black business titans and Black contributions to medicine. Featured topics are listed below.
- Affirmative action
- Protests and marches for civil rights and equality
- Extending and limiting factors on civil rights
BLACK BUSINESS TITANS
- Golden age of Black business and the growth of Black Wall Street
- Tulsa Race Massacre
- Myth-busting the racial wealth gap
- Examples of modern Black entrepreneurship
BLACK MEDICAL TRAILBLAZERS
- Historic roots of systemic racism in medical care
- Black medical trailblazers historically and present day
- Exploring fact and fiction around medical outcomes in the Black community