"The Week in Review,” is a weekly series that highlights the biggest storylines and news updates from Sporting Kansas City.
1. Sporting KC returns to Children's Mercy Park for 2022 home finale
After a week without a match, Sporting Kansas City returns to the pitch on Sunday, Oct. 2 for the club's 2022 home finale against the Seattle Sounders. The nationally televised showdown against Seattle will be broadcast on FS1 with coverage beginning at 4 p.m. CT. Tickets are on sale at SeatGeek.com with no fees as a part of Sunday's Fan Appreciation festivities.
Sporting comes into Sunday with five straight home wins, having outscored opponents 16-4 in those five contests since Aug. 6. Sporting is looking to even the series at home against Seattle, currently posting a 4-5-2 record against the Sounders in home matches. Seattle enters the match fighting for their playoff lives. They have three matches left in their season, including a midweek clash with Cincinnati at Lumen Field on Tuesday, and are six points back of the playoff line. With a win over Cincinnati Tuesday, Sunday could prove to be the difference in the Sounders' season.
2. 2022 Club Award Winners announced
Friday, Sporting Kansas City announced the 2022 club awards at the club's annual Pitch Black presented by Audi at Children's Mercy Park.
Votes cast by Sporting players and fans determined the following award winners:
- Most Valuable Player presented by Audi: Johnny Russell
- Offensive Player of the Year presented by Anheuser Busch: Daniel Salloi
- Defensive Player of the Year presented by Brush Creek Partners: Andreu Fontas
- Newcomers of the Year presented by Coca-Cola: Willy Agada and Erik Thommy
- Goal of the Year presented by Parisi Coffee: Roger Espinoza (July 9)
Sporting Kansas City also selected award winners in the following categories:
- Neal and Jeanne Patterson Humanitarians of the Year: Johnny Russell and Khiry Shelton
- Sporting KC II Most Valuable Player: Jahon Rad
- Bob Gansler Academy Player of the Year presented by Children’s Mercy: Alex Umana
- Sporting Club Network Member of the Year presented by Price Chopper: Sporting Springfield
For a list of all time Sporting KC annual award winners click here.
3. Tzionis scores for Cyprus
While Sporting KC was off this weekend, Saturday afternoon forward Marinos Tzions started in the Cyprus Natioanl Team's UEFA Nations Leage match with Greece. The first-year SKC forward struck once in the 18th, providing the contest's lone score. After making the perfect run off the ball between two defenders, Tzions was slid in behind the backline and tucked a shot past the charging keeper with a deft finish. Cyprus held onto the clean sheet for the remainder of the match and claimed their first Nations League win of 2022.
Tzionis now has two highly consequential goals in his young international career, netting the match winner in Cyprus' UEFA Nations League play-out match against Estonia in March. Next up, the Cyrptiots travel to Kosovo on Tuesday for the Nations League finale. A win over Kosovo would secure Cyprus a spot in next year's competition without having to enter a play-our relegation battle. The final will will take place at 1:45 p.m. CT on Tuesday.
4. Uri Rosell elected to MLSPA Executive Board
The Major League Soccer Players Association announced Thursday that Sporting KC midfielder Uri Rosell had been elected to the MLSPA Executive Board. The Executive Board is the decision and policy-making body of the Players Association with its members serving as the highest level of PA leadership. He will serve a three-year term alongside eight other active players and is the first international player in the board's history.
“The members of our Executive Board, both past and present, are a central part of the foundation of the MLSPA,'' Executive Director Bob Foose said in a statement. “I want to congratulate and thank our newly elected members. Their commitment to serving their fellow players and to bettering this league demonstrates the dedication and solidarity that has made the MLSPA into what it is today.