"By The Numbers" is sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation. Take care of your dad this Father’s Day! Did you know that 19 percent of traffic fatalities involving kids age 14 and younger were the result of impaired driving? Be safe and designate a sober driver this Father’s Day.
Eighth-place Sporting Kansas City (5-8-3, 18 points) looks to get back on track against second-place FC Dallas (8-4-4, 28 points) on Sunday in the 100th MLS match at Children's Mercy Park. The Western Conference clash will kick off at 4 p.m. CT on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM, and a limited number of tickets are still available via Ticketmaster.com.
Two trends have characterized games between Sporting KC and FC Dallas in recent years: there will be goals, and the home side will be very hard to beat. We take a statistical look at the matchup in our By The Numbers preview...
- The teams have combined to score 23 goals in their last five meetings across all competitions, with the home team winning on each occasion.
- The clubs last met on April 17 at Toyota Stadium when FC Dallas came from behind to win 2-1. Lawrence Olum fired Sporting KC ahead, but Michael Barrios and second-half substitute Mauro Rosales replied to give the home side a victory.
- Sporting KC exploded for 13 goals in three home games against FC Dallas last season, all multi-goal victories (including Open Cup).
- FC Dallas won its first-ever game at Children's Mercy Park in 2011, but has since gone 0-4-1 at the stadium in all competitions with five goals scored and 16 allowed.
- The home side in the series is 6-0-2 in the last eight meetings across all competitions.
- Twelve of the last 14 meetings in all competitions have produced at least three goals.
- Sporting KC has scored 11 straight games vs. FC Dallas, while FC Dallas has scored in 15 of its last 16 vs. Sporting KC (all competitions).
- Sporting KC holds a narrow 22-21-10 edge in the all-time regular season series, including a 13-8-6 mark at home.
- Benny Feilhaber has three goals and six assists in his last six games against FC Dallas across all competitions.
- 2016 MLS record: 8-4-4, 28 points (2nd in West)
- 2016 MLS road record: 3-4-1 (10 GF, 16 GA)
- Last five games: 3-0-2, 11 points (W-W-W-T-T)
- FC Dallas is riding a five-game unbeaten streak, collecting 11 points from their last five MLS matches.
- FC Dallas is tied for the MLS lead with three road wins, going 3-4-1 away from home this season.
- FC Dallas is the only MLS club with three multi-goal road wins this season.
- FC Dallas is 22-1-3 when scoring first since the beginning of 2015.
- FC Dallas is the only team with at least three multi-goal wins and three multi-goal losses in 2016.
- Defender Walker Zimmerman leads MLS with 54 interceptions and 55 aerial duels won while ranking third with 76 clearances.
- Midfielder Mauro Diaz is tied for third in MLS with five assists despite missing five of FC Dallas' 16 games. He is also tied for first in MLS with 38 fouls suffered.
- Winger Fabian Castillo leads MLS with three game-winning goals and 39 successful dribbles.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2016 MLS record: 5-8-3, 18 points (8th in West)
- 2016 MLS home record: 3-4-1 (9 GF, 11 GA)
- Last five games: 1-3-1, 4 points (L-W-L-L-T)
- SKC has allowed 1.13 goals per game, second-fewest in MLS, and faced a league-low 9.3 shots per game.
- SKC ranks second in MLS with 14.3 shots per game but 18th with 4.1 shots on target per game.
- SKC is 1-7-3 in its last 11 MLS matches but has out-shot and out-possessed its opponent in 10 games during the stretch.
- SKC is 3-0-0 when scoring multiple goals and 0-5-0 when allowing multiple goals.
- Thirteen of Sporting KC's 16 league games have been decided by a goal or less.
- Forward Dom Dwyer is tied for the MLS lead with 38 fouls suffered while ranking third with 53 shot attempts.
- Midfielder Roger Espinoza leads MLS with 114 duels won while ranking ninth in both tackles (43) and succesful passes (567).
Milestones and Miscellany
- Children's Mercy Park will host its 100th MLS match on Sunday (including playoffs).
- Lawrence Olum is one shy of his 50th MLS start (including playoffs).
- Dom Dwyer is one shy of entering a tie for second in Sporting KC history on the club's regular season and all-competitions scoring charts. His 42 regular season goals are one behind Davy Arnaud and Josh Wolff, while his 51 goals in all competitions are one behind Arnaud.
- Jacob Peterson is one shy of his 100th career substitute appearance in the MLS regular season. He would be the fifth MLS player to reach the century mark in regular season substitute appearances.
Team stats (2016 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (source: WhoScored.com)
|Category (per game)||Sporting KC||FC Dallas|
|Goals scored||0.88 (19th)||1.50 (8th)|
|Goals conceded||1.13 (2nd)||1.38 (10th)|
|Shots||14.3 (2nd)||13.1 (10th)|
|Shots on goal||4.1 (18th)||5.0 (6th)|
|Passing accuracy||77.2% (7th)||74.4% (16th)|
|Possession||53.5% (4th)||49.5% (9th)|
|Tackles||20.6 (6th)||20.8 (5th)|
|Interceptions||18.8 (13th)||23.8 (1st)|
|Fouls committed||12.4 (12th)||13.1 (8th)|
|Shots faced||9.3 (1st)||10.6 (2nd)|
Recent #SKCvFCD meetings (all competitions)
- Regular season record vs. FC Dallas: 22-21-10
- Regular season home record vs. FC Dallas: 13-8-6 (29 GF, 51 GA)
|03/14/2015||L 1-3||Toyota Stadium||Castillo tallies goal & assist; Feilhaber assists Espinoza|
|05/29/2015||W 4-0||Children's Mercy Park||Zusi has goal & 2 assists, Feilhaber goal, Hallisey assist|
|07/01/2015||W 6-2||Children's Mercy Park||Dwyer scores 4 in Open Cup win, Feilhaber adds 3 assists|
|09/18/2015||W 3-1||Children's Mercy Park||Feilhaber scores 2, Dwyer adds third; Ulloa scores|
|04/17/2015||L 1-2||Toyota Stadium||Barrios and Rosales cancel out Olum opener|