"By The Numbers" is sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation. Nationwide, one person every 39 minutes dies in a traffic crash involving a driver with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of 0.08 or higher, which is the legal limit across all of the United States. Be safe and designate a sober driver.
Sporting Kansas City's daunting road swing continues Saturday when the club visits Supporters' Shield leaders FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. CT with three hours of live television coverage beginning at 7:30 p.m. CT on 38 The Spot and SKCTV. The match will also air live on 99.3 FM (English) and 1340 AM (Spanish).
Fifth-place Sporting KC (10-11-4, 34 points) enters Saturday with a 10-game road winless streak and faces an FC Dallas side (13-6-5, 44 points) that has yet to lose at home this season. The Western Conference foes are no strangers, having met six times in all competitions since the start of 2015, and approach the fixture amidst busy schedules: Sporting KC begins its CONCACAF Champions League campaign next week, while FC Dallas has advanced to the U.S. Open Cup Final in addition to juggling CCL obligations.
We take a statistical look at the matchup in our By The Numbers preview.
- Sporting KC and FC Dallas have split the 2016 regular season series thus far. FC Dallas claimed a 2-1 home win on April 17, while Sporting KC won 2-0 on June 19 at Children's Mercy Park.
- Sporting KC is 1-4-2 in its last seven games at Toyota Stadium, with their lone win coming in June 2011 by a 4-1 scoreline.
- Twelve of the last 15 meetings across all competitions have produced three or more goals, and the last six fixtures have produced 25 goals combined.
- Sporting KC has scored in 12 straight games against FC Dallas, while FC Dallas has scored in 15 of its last 17 vs. Sporting KC.
- The home team in the fixture has won six straight meetings across all competitions and is 7-0-2 in the last nine.
- Sporting KC midfielder Benny Feilhaber has four goals and seven assists in his last seven gams vs. FC Dallas across all competitions.
- Sporting KC defender Lawrence Olum has scored in both games against FC Dallas this season.
- 2016 MLS record: 13-6-5, 44 points (1st in West)
- 2016 MLS home record: 9-0-3 (25 GF, 7 GA)
- Last five games: 3-1-1, 10 points (W-L-W-D-W)
- Last MLS match: Won 2-0 vs. Vancouver on July 31
- FC Dallas has the best home record in MLS at 9-0-3, outscoring opponents 25-7 at Toyota Stadium. No team has a greater home goal differential.
- FC Dallas is unbeaten in 17 straight regular season home games dating back to last season, with their last loss at Toyota Stadium coming on Aug. 15, 2015.
- FC Dallas has scored in all 12 home games this season and ranks second in MLS with six home shutouts.
- FC Dallas leads MLS with 13 wins, two more than any other team, and boasts a league-best 10 multi-goal wins.
- FC Dallas is 5-1-1 since June 25, tied for the best record over the last seven games in MLS.
- FC Dallas is a league-best 11-0-1 when scoring the first goal in 2016.
- Midfielder Mauro Diaz is tied for second in MLS with 10 assists, including a league-best five game-winning assists. He is also third in MLS with 55 chances created and one shy of the league lead with 53 fouls suffered.
- Goalkeeper Chris Seitz is tied for the MLS lead in wins (10) and shutouts (seven).
- Defender Walker Zimmerman is second in MLS with 73 aerial duels won, third with 72 interceptions and fifth with 106 clearances. He is the only MLS player to rank in the top five in each of these categories.
- Also relevant: Most of FC Dallas' starters played 120 minutes Wednesday night in the club's 2-1 extra time win at LA Galaxy in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup semifinals.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2016 MLS record: 10-11-4, 34 points (5th in West)
- 2016 MLS road record: 2-7-3 (7 GF, 14 GA)
- Last five games: 2-3-0, 6 points (L-L-W-W-L)
- Last MLS match: Lost 3-0 at Portland on Aug. 7
- SKC leads MLS with 14.5 shots per game while also allowing a league-low 8.7 shots per game. The team has out-shot its last seven regular season opponents.
- SKC has has eight one-goal losses, tied for the most in MLS.
- SKC is winless in 10 straight MLS road matches (0-7-3) after winning their first two away games of 2016. It's their longest road winless streak in the regular season since 2008 (13 games).
- SKC has scored just four goals during their 10-game road winless streak and has been shut out in six of their last seven away matches.
- Defender Jimmy Medranda is second in MLS with 56 tackles won. Since May 20, he also leads the league with 46 interceptions.
- Forward Dom Dwyer leads the team with 10 goals and leads MLS with 54 fouls suffered. He ranks third league-wide with 79 shot attempts and is tied for first with 24 games played.
- Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam is tied for the lead among MLS defenders with five assists.
- Also relevant: Midfielders Roger Espinoza (yellow card accumulation) and Soni Mustivar (red card) will serve one-game suspensions on Saturday.
Milestones and Miscellany
- Ike Opara is one shy of his 19th regular season appearance in 2016, which would be a career-high.
- Jacob Peterson is one shy of his 100th career substitute appearance in the MLS regular season.
- Brad Davis has 40 game-winning assists in the regular season, one shy of tying Landon Donovan and Steve Ralston for the all-time MLS record.
Team stats (2016 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (source: WhoScored.com)
|Category (per game)||Sporting KC||FC Dallas|
|Goals scored||1.12 (15th)||1.54 (7th)|
|Goals conceded||1.12 (5th)||1.29 (8th)|
|Shots||14.5 (1st)||13.2 (8th)|
|Shots on goal||4.4 (14th)||4.8 (6th)|
|Passing accuracy||78.3 (7th)||76.8 (14th)|
|Possession||54.1 (2nd)||50.1 (9th)|
|Tackles||19.7 (7th)||20.8 (2nd)|
|Interceptions||19.5 (7th)||21.8 (1st)|
|Fouls committed||12.9 (7th)||12.8 (8th)|
|Shots faced||8.7 (1st)||9.7 (2nd)|
Recent #FCDvSKC meetings (all competitions)
- Regular season record vs. FC Dallas: 23-21-10 (82 GF, 86 GA)
- Regular season road record at FC Dallas: 9-13-4 (29 GF, 51 GA)
|03/14/2015||L 1-3||A||Regular season||Feilhaber assists Espinoza in defeat|
|05/29/2015||W 4-0||H||Regular season||Zusi goal and 2 assists, Feilhaber goal|
|07/01/2015||W 6-2||H||Open Cup Rd. of 16||Dwyer scores club-record four goals|
|09/18/2015||W 3-1||H||Regular season||Feilhaber scores two, Dwyer adds third|
|04/17/2016||L 1-2||A||Regular season||Barrios and Rosales cancel out Olum opener|
|06/19/2016||W 2-0||H||Regular season||Olum and Feilhaber score late in first half|