"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation, giving a statistical preview of every Sporting KC match.
$10k The average cost of DUI, compared with $15 for a taxi.
The 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup champions can now focus their full attention on the final stretch of the MLS regular season. Sporting Kansas City (11-6-11, 44 points) lifted the Open Cup title on Wednesday and will have to recover quickly for an all-important Western Conference clash against the LA Galaxy (7-16-6, 27 points) at 1 p.m. CT Sunday inside Children's Mercy Park. The match will air live on FOX Sports KC Plus and FOX Sports Midwest Plus, while radio calls will be available on ESPN 99.3 FM and La Grande 1340 AM. Tickets for the contest are available at SeatGeek.com.
Sporting KC is the only MLS club yet to lose a home game in 2017, boasting a home regular-season shutout streak that currently stands at 23 matches. The Galaxy, meanwhile, dwell 11 points below the red line with just one victory over the last three months. We offer a statistical breakdown of the matchup in our By The Numbers preview.
- LA is 0-3-3 all-time at Children's Mercy Park and 0-4-5 in their last nine visits to Kansas City dating back to 2008. The Galaxy haven't won in KC since September 2007.
- Sporting KC is unbeaten in its last five regular season meetings against LA, earning two wins and three draws.
- The sides last met on June 24 when Sporting KC posted a 2-1 road win behind a long-range strike from Roger Espinoza and a sensational bicycle kick from Ike Opara. It was SKC's first win at LA since August 2010.
- LA entered their fixture against SKC on June 24 with a 6-5-2 record, but the Galaxy have claimed just seven points (1-11-4) over their last 16 league games.
- The 59 regular season meetings between the sides have produced just three scoreless draws.
- 2017 MLS record: 7-16-6, 27 points (10th in West)
- 2017 MLS away record: 5-7-2 (23 GF, 28 GA)
- Last five games: 1-3-1, 4 points (L-W-T-L-L)
- Last MLS match: L 0-4 at Atlanta United FC on Wednesday
- Despite sitting 11 points below the red line, LA is tied for the conference lead with five away wins. Their 5-7-2 road record is second-best in the West.
- LA ranks second in MLS with 1.64 goals per road game.
- After starting the season 6-5-2, LA is 1-11-4 in their last 16 league games (12 GF, 34 GA). That drought includes a 0-5-1 road record.
- LA's 56 goals conceded in the regular season (1.93 per game) are second-most in MLS. Their 56 goals allowed are LA's most since 2008.
- Midfielder Romain Alessandrini leads LA in goals (nine) and assists (10). No other Galaxy players has more than six goals or three assists.
- Forward Giovani dos Santos has gone scoreless in nine straight MLS appearances, the longest drought of his three-year MLS career.
- Former Sporting KC goalkeeper Jon Kempin has started the last six games for LA, making 21 total saves and stopping two penalty kicks.
- 2017 MLS record: 11-6-11, 44 points (3rd in West)
- 2017 MLS home record: 9-0-5 (28 GF, 9 GA)
- Last five games: 2-2-1, 7 points (L-W-L-T-W)
- Last MLS match: W 3-1 vs. New England Revolution on Sept. 16
- SKC is unbeaten in a club-record 23 straight regular season home games dating back to June 2016, tied for the third-longest run in MLS history.
- With a 12-0-6 home record in all competitions, Sporting KC is the only MLS club without a home loss in 2017.
- SKC won their fourth Open Cup title on Wednesday, becoming the only MLS club with four major trophies over the last six seasons (2013 MLS Cup to go with 2012, 2015 and 2017 Open Cups).
- SKC's 0.79 goals against average is on pace to be the lowest in a 34-game regular season in MLS history.
- SKC's 22 goals conceded are nine fewer than any other team in MLS.
- SKC is 8-0-1 when leading at halftime and 0-4-3 when trailing at halftime this season.
- SKC is 13-2-8 with a 0.61 goals against average (all competitions) when center backs Matt Besler and Ike Opara start together in 2017.
- Among goalkeepers with at least five games played, Tim Melia leads MLS in goals against average (0.79) and save percentage (78.5). He also leads the league in shutouts (10) and penalty saves (three).
- Defender Graham Zusi leads MLS defenders with 44 chances created. He also has a team-best eight assists in all competitions.
- Forward Gerso leads Sporting KC with 10 goals in all competitions, four more than any other player.
Recent #SKCvLA regular season meetings
- Regular season record vs. LA: 21-24-14 (71 GF, 88 GA)
- Regular season home record vs. LA: 15-8-7 (43 GF, 39 GA)
|04/18/2015||L 1-2||Away||Benny Feilhaber and Dom Dwyer assist Krisztian Nemeth; Baggio Husidic scores for LA|
|10/25/2015||W 2-1||Home||Dwyer and Kevin Ellis score for SKC; Giovani dos Santos assists Robbie Keane|
|05/01/2016||T 1-1||Home||Brad Davis scores stunner in 30th minute, but dos Santos replies in 42nd minute|
|06/02/2016||T 0-0||Away||Sporting KC holds LA to club record-low one shot attempt|
|09/18/2016||T 2-2||Home||Dwyer and Jake Peterson score, but Landon Donovan stuns with late equalizer|
|06/24/2017||W 2-1||Away||Roger Espinoza strikes from distance before Ike Opara bags sensational bicycle kick|