"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation, giving a statistical preview of every Sporting KC match.
20% The percent of drivers in accidents that tested positive for drugs in the U.S.
Sporting Kansas City (2-1-3, 9 points) will take a five-game MLS unbeaten streak on the road this weekend, visiting the San Jose Earthquakes (1-5-0, 3 points) on Saturday night at Avaya Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 9 p.m. CT with live coverage on FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest Plus, FOX Sports GO, Sports Radio 810 WHB and ESPN Deportes KC 1480 AM.
Manager Peter Vermes' side has owned the recent series with San Jose, who are coming off a disastrous 2018 campaign and have endured a slow start to the new season under first-year head coach Matias Almeyda. The Quakes have nevertheless shown signs of improvement over the last few weeks, notably smashing the Portland Timbers earlier this month, and the hosts will be eager to build on that result at Sporting's expense.
We take a statistical look at the Western Conference clash in our newest edition of By The Numbers.
- Sporting are 5-0-1 in their last six regular season meetings against San Jose, including a 5-1 win in their last visit to Avaya Stadium on Sept. 15, 2018.
- Sporting are 2-0-1 in their last three visits to Avaya Stadium after going winless in 18 straight away games at San Jose from 2000-2016.
- Gerso Fernandes was the star of the show in the most recent meeting between the clubs, tallying two goals and two assists in the 5-1 road win. Felipe Gutierrez and Krisztian Nemeth also scored in that match, while Danny Hoesen struck for San Jose.
- Gutierrez scored in both of Sporting's wins over San Jose last season, including the opener in a 3-2 home victory on March 17, 2018.
- San Jose forward Chris Wondolowski has scored nine goals in 17 career regular season appearances vs. Sporting. He is two goals shy of breaking the all-time MLS regular season scoring record of 145 goals, set by Landon Donovan.
- San Jose last defeated Sporting in April 2016, prevailing 1-0 at Avaya Stadium.
San Jose Earthquakes
- 2019 MLS record: 1-3-1 (4 points, 9th in Eastern Conference)
- 2019 MLS away record: 0-1-1 (1 GF, 2 GA)
- Last MLS match: L 1-2 vs. Minnesota United FC on April 6
- Last 5 MLS matches: 1-3-1, 4 points (W-T-L-L-L)
- San Jose's 5-26-9 record since the start of 2018 is the worst in MLS.
- San Jose's three shutouts since the start of 2018 are the fewest in MLS, excluding 2019 expansion side FC Cincinnati.
- San Jose picked up their first win of the year on April 6, defeating Portland 3-0 with goals from Shea Salinas, Danny Hoesen and Cristian Espinoza.
- San Jose ranks second in MLS with 14.8 interceptions per game.
- Midfielder Anibal Godoy leads MLS with four yellow cards this season. He also leads the league with 18 interceptions.
- Midfielder Cristian Espinoza ranks fourth in MLS with 17 chances created and has a team-best two goals.
- 2019 MLS record: 2-1-3, 9 points (7th in West)
- 2019 MLS away record: 0-1-2 (3 GF, 4 GA)
- Last MLS match: T 2-2 vs. New York Red Bulls on April 14
- Last 5 MLS matches: 2-0-3, 9 points (W-T-W-T-T)
- Sporting are unbeaten in five straight MLS matches since falling 2-1 at LAFC on March 3.
- Sporting are 5-1-2 with four shutouts in the state of California since the start of 2016.
- Midfielder Gianluca Busio has scored in three straight regular season matches, tied for the third-longest streak in club history. At age 16, Busio is the youngest player to score in consecutive games in MLS history.
- Forward Johnny Russell has four goals in his last four MLS appearances.
- Forward Krisztian Nemeth leads Sporting with eight goals this season in all competitions.
- Forward Gerso Fernandes has recorded four goals and four assists this season in all competitions.
Recent #SJvSKC regular season meetings
- Regular season record vs. San Jose: 26-24-8 (73 GF, 70 GA)
- Regular season away record at San Jose: 6-16-7 (26 GF, 39 GA)
|04/24/2016||L 0-1||Away||Chris Wondolowski converts controversial penalty in 59th minute|
|09/24/2016||W 2-1||Away||Sporting secures first win in San Jose since August 2000|
|10/23/2016||W 2-0||Home||Graham Zusi scores on Decision Day to seal playoff spot|
|03/18/2017||W 2-1||Home||Sporting builds 2-0 lead before Florian Jungwirth nets consolation goal|
|06/17/2017||T 0-0||Away||San Jose limited to five shot attempts, their fewest ever in a home game|
|03/17/2018||W 3-2||Home||Ilie, Zusi and Felipe Gutierrez propel Sporting past Quakes, who receive Vako and Wondolowski goals|
|09/15/2018||W 5-1||Away||Gerso nets two goals and two assists as Gutierrez and Krisztian Nemeth also strike|
Team stats (2019 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (source: Opta, as of April 18)
|Category (per game)||Sporting||San Jose|
|Goals scored||2.33 (t-4th)||1.00 (t-18th)|
|Goals conceded||1.17 (7th)||2.67 (22nd)|
|Shots||15.2 (2nd)||12.5 (13th)|
|Shots on goal||5.3 (4th)||4.8 (8th)|
|Shooting accuracy||47.1 (14th)||49.2 (10th)|
|Passing accuracy||83.8 (5th)||83.2 (6th)|
|Possession||57.8 (4th)||57.4 (5th)|
|Duels won||50.2 (18th)||51.2 (15th)|
|Tackles won||9.3 (20th)||10.0 (17th)|
|Interceptions||9.2 (20th)||14.8 (2nd)|
|Clearances||18.5 (11th)||18.3 (13th)|
|Fouls committed||12.3 (9th)||15.2 (3rd)|
|Fouls suffered||11.2 (17th)||12.5 (7th)|
|Shots faced||12.5 (13th)||16.0 (22nd)|