"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation that gives a statistical preview of every Sporting match.
4.4 One alcohol-related crash occurred every 4.4 hours in Kansas throughout 2017.
Sporting Kansas City (6-7-7, 25 points) will look to secure a third straight win, reach .500 and bolster their playoff bid on Saturday night when Western Conference rivals FC Dallas (8-8-5, 29 points) visit Children's Mercy Park at 7:30 p.m. CT. Tickets for the pivotal matchup are available at SeatGeek.com and fans can catch the action live on FOX Sports Kansas City Plus, FOX Sports Midwest Plus, FOX Sports GO, Sports Radio 810 WHB and ESPN Deportes KC 1480 AM.
Sporting have momentum on their side after securing consecutive shutout wins over the Chicago Fire and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. FC Meanwhile, FC Dallas will be eager to bounce back from a last-minute loss to Minnesota United FC that dropped the Texas outfit into the seventh and final playoff spot in the West.
In the space below, our newest edition of By The Numbers takes a statistical look at the contest.
- Sporting are 8-1-2 in their last 11 home meetings with FC Dallas across all competitions, scoring 28 goals and conceding 10.
- FC Dallas went winless in 10 trips to Children’s Mercy Park across all competitions from 2012-2018 before winning 3-2 last July.
- Gerso has scored in each of his last two home appearances against FC Dallas.
- Daniel Salloi scored four goals in three appearances against FC Dallas last season in all competitions.
- Michael Barrios scored a hat-trick in FC Dallas’ 3-2 win at Sporting last July.
- The three meetings between the clubs last season produced 13 goals.
- Sporting KC holds a narrow 25-23-12 edge in the all-time regular season series.
- 2019 MLS record: 8-8-5 (29 points, 7th in Western Conference)
- 2019 MLS away record: 2-7-1 (11 GF, 16 GA)
- Last MLS match: L 0-1 at Minnesota United FC on July 13
- Last 5 MLS matches: 2-2-1, 7 points (W-L-T-W-L)
- Dallas rank third in MLS in successful passes per game and rank second in passing accuracy.
- Dallas have yet to keep a clean sheet on the road this season and have a 2-7-1 away record.
- Dallas are 0-5-1 in their last six away matches.
- Dallas lead MLS in interceptions and have the third-most yellow cards in the league.
- Dallas have scored six goals in the first 15 minutes of matches this season, second most in MLS.
- Dominique Badji and 18-year-old Jesus Ferreira are tied for the team lead with five goals.
- Michael Barrios is tied for third in MLS with seven primary assists.
- Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez ranks fourth in MLS with a 1.16 goals against average.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2019 MLS record: 6-7-7, 25 points (9th in Western Conference)
- 2019 MLS home record: 4-3-3 (21 GF, 20 GA)
- Last MLS match: W 3-0 at Vancouver Whitecaps FC on July 13
- Last 5 MLS matches: 3-2-0, 9 points (W-L-L-W-W)
- Sporting have posted back-to-back shutouts and back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.
- Sporting have recorded 10 shots on target in back-to-back league matches for just the third time in team history, having previously done so in 1996 and 2007.
- Sporting’s last two wins over Chicago and Vancouver mark the first time this season that the same lineup has started in back-to-back league games for the club.
- Ilie Sanchez has appeared in 107 of Sporting’s last 108 matches in all competitions but will miss Saturday’s game due to caution accumulation.
- Sporting are 4-0-1 with four shutouts when the back line of Matt Besler, Botond Barath, Graham Zusi and Seth Sinovic start in defense.
- Gerso Fernandes was involved in each of Sporting’s three goals in a 3-0 win at Vancouver last weekend, scoring one, assisting one and forcing a Vancouver own goal.
Milestones and Miscellany
- Sporting are one shy of their 250th regular-season goal scored at Children's Mercy Park.
Recent #SKCvDAL meetings
- Regular season record vs. FC Dallas: 25-23-12 (91 GF, 92 GA)
- Regular season home record vs. FC Dallas: 15-9-7 (57 GF, 38 GA)
|03/11/2017||T 0-0||Home||MLS||Dom Dwyer and Latif Blessing go close in scoreless draw|
|04/22/2017||L 0-1||Away||MLS||Maynor Figueroa scores winner in 77th minute|
|Home||Open Cup||Blessing scores brace and Daniel Salloi adds third in extra time of Open Cup quarterfinals|
|08/19/2017||W 2-0||Home||MLS||Diego Rubio and Gerso Fernandes score late in either half|
|06/16/2018||W 3-2||Home||Open Cup||Salloi scores twice and Yohan Croizet bags stunning late winner, while Dallas gets goals from Carlos Gruezo and Roland Lamah|
|07/28/2018||L 2-3||Home||MLS||Michael Barrios hat-trick overcomes goals from Fernandes and Salloi|
|10/21/2018||W 3-0||Away||MLS||Salloi, Roger Espinoza and Johnny Russell score in emphatic road win|
Team stats (2019 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis
|Category (per game)||Sporting||FC Dallas|
|Goals scored||1.60 (8th)||1.38 (17th)|
|Goals conceded||1.70 (20th)||1.24 (5th)|
|Shots||14.5 (5th)||13.1 (11th)|
|Shots on goal||5.0 (7th)||3.9 (20th)|
|Shooting accuracy||47.0% (9th)||48.3% (7th)|
|Shot conversion rate||11.1% (11th)||10.6% (18th)|
|Passing accuracy||83.8% (5th)||84.4% (2nd)|
|Possession||55.5% (4th)||53.6% (7th)|
|Chances created||9.8 (12th)||9.9 (11th)|
|Duels won||48.2 (22nd)||51.5 (14th)|
|Tackles won||9.3 (22nd)||12.0 (4th)|
|Interceptions||8.7 (24th)||11.8 (4th)|
|Clearances||17.3 (14th)||18.0 (12th)|
|Fouls committed||12.5 (7th)||11.9 (16th)|
|Fouls suffered||11.8 (9th)||12.0 (8th)|
|Shots faced||12.2 (8th)||12.6 (10th)|