"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation that gives a statistical preview of every Sporting match.
28% The percent of motor vehicle fatalities resulting from drunk driving nationwide in 2016.
Eliminated from playoff contention for the first time since 2010, Sporting Kansas City (10-15-8, 38 points) will embrace the spoiler role on Sunday when they visit playoff hopefuls FC Dallas (12-12-9, 45 points) as the MLS regular season comes to a dramatic close on Decision Day. Kickoff at Toyota Stadium is slated for 3 p.m. CT with live coverage on FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports GO, ESPN 94.5 FM (English) and La Grande 1340 AM (Spanish). We take a statistical look at the fixture in our final 2019 edition of By The Numbers.
- Sporting hold a narrow 25-24-12 edge in the all-time regular season series.
- Dallas won the most recent meeting on July 20 at Children's Mercy Park, receiving goals in either half from Dominique Badji and Jesus Ferreira.
- The last time these teams met at Toyota Stadium in October 2018, Sporting strolled to a 3-0 win with goals from Roger Espinoza, Johnny Russell and Daniel Salloi.
- Sporting are 2-5-3 in their last 10 games at Toyota Stadium dating back to 2011.
- The home side in the series has lost each of the last three regular season meetings.
- 2019 MLS record: 12-12-9 (45 points, 7th in Western Conference)
- 2019 MLS home record: 9-1-6 (32 GF, 16 GA)
- Last MLS match: L 0-3 at Colorado Rapids on Sept. 29
- Last 5 MLS matches: 1-2-2, 5 points (W-L-T-T-L)
- Currently occupying the seventh and final playoff spot, Dallas can clinch a playoff berth with:
- A win, OR
- A draw if San Jose loses or ties at Portland, OR
- A loss if San Jose loses at Portland and Colorado loses or ties at LAFC.
- Dallas has just one home loss this season, tied for the fewest in MLS (9-1-6). Their lone home defeat came on May 11 against the Red Bulls.
- Dallas hasn't lost more than two home games in a season since 2014. The club has a 52-8-24 regular season record at Toyota Stadium since the start of 2015.
- Dallas is winless in its last four matches, going 0-2-2 since beating FC Cincinnati on Aug. 31.
- Eight of Dallas' 12 wins have come by two or more goals. Their four one-goal wins are tied for the fewest in MLS.
- Dallas is 11-1-4 when scoring first this season but just 1-11-2 when conceding the first goal.
- Dallas has led at halftime in 11 of its 12 league wins this season.
- Forward Jesus Ferreira, aged 18, leads FC Dallas with seven goals.
- Midfielder Michael Barrios ranks fifth in MLS with 13 assists and sixth with 82 chances created.
- Midfielder Bryan Acosta leads MLS with 12 yellow cards and ranks fourth with 61 fouls committed.
- Defender Ryan Hollingshead ranks fourth in MLS in duels won (234) and sixth in interceptions (54). He is also second on the team with six goals.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2019 MLS record: 10-15-8, 38 points (10th in Western Conference)
- 2019 MLS away record: 3-9-4 (19 GF, 31 GA)
- Last MLS match: T 2-2 vs. Portland Timbers on Sept. 29
- Last 5 MLS matches: 0-4-1, 1 point (L-L-L-L-T)
- Sporting have been eliminated from playoff contention for the first time since 2010. Their eight-year playoff streak was the fourth-longest in MLS history.
- Sporting have conceded 61 goals this season, the second-most in MLS and the second-most in club history (63 in 1996).
- Sporting have conceded 20 goals in the final 15 minutes of matches this season, the most in MLS.
- Sporting have suffered six losses when scoring first, the most in MLS this season.
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia has saved three of the four penalty kicks he has faced this season and has an MLS career-high 111 saves.
- Felipe Gutierrez is tied for the lead among MLS midfielders with 12 goals. He has become the fourth midfielder in club history to hit double-digit goals in a single regular season (Preki, Mark Chung, Benny Feilhaber).
- Forward Johnny Russell has become the second player in club history (Preki) to record at least nine goals and nine assists in consecutive regular seasons.
- Midfielders Roger Espinoza and Ilie Sanchez will miss Sunday's match with red card suspensions.
Milestones and Miscellany
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia is one shy of his 46th regular season shutout for Sporting, which would pass Jimmy Nielsen for the most in club history.
Recent #DALvSKC meetings
- Regular season record vs. FC Dallas: 25-24-12 (91 GF, 94 GA)
- Regular season away record at FC Dallas: 10-14-5 (34 GF, 54 GA)
|03/11/2017||T 0-0||Home||MLS||Dom Dwyer and Latif Blessing go close in scoreless draw|
|04/22/2017||L 0-1||Away||MLS||Maynor Figueroa scores winner in 77th minute|
|Home||Open Cup||Blessing scores brace and Daniel Salloi adds third in extra time of Open Cup quarterfinals|
|08/19/2017||W 2-0||Home||MLS||Diego Rubio and Gerso Fernandes score late in either half|
|06/16/2018||W 3-2||Home||Open Cup||Salloi scores twice and Yohan Croizet bags stunning late winner, while Dallas gets goals from Carlos Gruezo and Roland Lamah|
|07/28/2018||L 2-3||Home||MLS||Michael Barrios hat-trick overcomes goals from Gerso and Salloi|
|10/21/2018||W 3-0||Away||MLS||Salloi, Roger Espinoza and Johnny Russell score in emphatic road win|
|07/20/2019||L 0-2||Home||MLS||Dominique Badji and Jesus Ferreira pace Dallas to road win|
Team Stats (2019 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (source: Opta)
|Category (per game)||Sporting||FC Dallas|
|Goals scored||1.48 (t-13th)||1.45 (16th)|
|Goals conceded||1.85 (23rd)||1.39 (t-8th)|
|Shots||14.9 (5th)||13.6 (11th)|
|Shots on goal||5.1 (6th)||4.8 (12th)|
|Shooting accuracy||44.7% (13th)||46.9% (9th)|
|Shot conversion rate||10.0% (21st)||10.7% (17th)|
|Passing accuracy||82.9% (5th)||84.5% (2nd)|
|Possession||53.0% (8th)||53.5% (6th)|
|Chances created||10.3 (11th)||10.0 (13th)|
|Duels won||46.8 (23rd)||50.5 (12th)|
|Tackles won||8.8 (21st)||10.9 (6th)|
|Interceptions||9.2 (21st)||11.0 (4th)|
|Clearances||16.2 (18th)||16.6 (15th)|
|Fouls committed||12.4 (6th)||12.5 (4th)|
|Fouls suffered||11.5 (11th)||11.8 (9th)|
|Shots faced||13.4 (13th)||12.9 (10th)|