Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has acquired $270,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money (GAM) from Nashville SC in exchange for an international roster spot in 2023 and 2024.
General Allocation Money can be used to "buy down" a player's Salary Budget Charge as part of managing a club's roster, including buying down a Salary Budget Charge below the league maximum of $651,250. GAM can also be applied in the following circumstances:
- To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player who did not play in MLS during the previous season).
- To re-sign an existing MLS player.
- To off-set acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees).
- In connection with the extension of a player's contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.
- To reduce a player's Salary Budget Charge to the lesser of 50% of the Salary Budget Charge or $150,000.
For more information about MLS roster rules and regulations, click here.
Each of the next four weekends will see Sporting play in the friendly confines of Children’s Mercy Park, beginning with a game against Austin FC on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. CT. Tickets are available at SeatGeek.com and fans can catch the action live on MLS Season Pass via Apple TV. Since the start of May, Sporting leads all Western Conference clubs in points (14) and wins (four) with a 4-1-2 record.
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City acquires $270,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money (GAM) from Nashville SC in exchange for an international roster spot in 2023 and 2024.