Riding a six-game home winning streak, Sporting Kansas City resumes their 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup campaign at 7:30 p.m. CT on Wednesday against MLS rival FC Dallas. A limited number of tickets for the Round of 16 matchup at Sporting Park are available via Ticketmaster.com and the game is included as Special Game A in season ticket packages.
SportingKC.com will provide a live stream of the match, presented by Ivy Funds, and @SKCGameday on Twitter will provide in-game updates. Wednesday's winner will advance to play the Houston Dynamo in the tournament quarterfinals on July 21 or 22.
Wednesday's contest—one of six all-MLS matchups in the Round of 16—will be the third competitive meeting between Sporting KC and FC Dallas in 2015, with both sides previously claiming a league victory on home soil. We break down the matchup in our By The Numbers preview...
- FC Dallas defeated Sporting KC 3-1 on March 14 at Toyota Stadium, receiving goals from Blas Perez (2) and Fabian Castillo to overcome Roger Espinoza's equalizer late in the first half.
- Sporting KC beat FC Dallas 4-0 on May 29 at Sporting Park, receving goals from Krisztian Nemeth, Benny Feilhaber, Kevin Ellis and Graham Zusi.
- Sporting KC and FC Dallas have squared off in the U.S. Open Cup just once all-time. In the 2004 quarterfinals, Kansas City topped Dallas 4-0 en route to the team's first Open Cup championship.
- Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy has conceded 12 goals in his last three starts against Sporting KC (0-3-0 record).
- Wednesday's game is the only Round of 16 matchup between two previous Open Cup champions.
- SKC is riding a six-game home winning streak in all competitions since the start of May. During that stretch, the club has posted five shutouts and outscored opponents by an aggregate score of 13-2.
- SKC's six-game home winning streak in all competitions is the club's fourth longest all-time in a single season.
- Tim Melia has posted a 386 minute shutout streak at Sporting Park dating back to May 20.
- SKC has posted shutouts in nine of 17 matches across all competitions.
- SKC has posted seven shutouts in 10 home games this season, including six of the last seven (all competitions) at Sporting Park.
- SKC has lost in the Open Cup Round of 16 in each of the last two seasons with both defeats coming at Sporting Park.
- SKC is 14-7-2 at home in the Open Cup and 6-7-1 in the Round of 16.
- Jacob Peterson is one shy of his 50th career start for Sporting KC in all competitions.
- Dallas snapped a six-game winless skid in MLS play with a 2-0 win over Houston on Friday. The victory came on the heels of a five-game road trip that yielded three losses and two draws.
- Dallas is 2-4-3 on the road this season with 10 goals scored and 15 conceded.
- FC Dallas finished the 2014 regular season with six shutouts. The 2015 squad has already reached that mark through 17 games.
- Dallas scored 15 set piece goals in 2014 but has tallied just one set piece goal this season.
- Dallas is one of five MLS teams to have received four red cards this season. However, the club's 12.1 fouls per game rank fifth lowest in the league.
- Fabian Castillo leads Dallas with six goals and six assists in all competitions this season.
- Since 2014, Dallas is 12-6-4 with eight shutouts when Zach Loyd and Matt Hedges start in central defense.
2015 MLS Regular Season Leaders
|Category||Sporting KC||FC Dallas|
|Goals||Krisztian Nemeth 7||Fabian Castillo 6|
|Assists||Benny Feilhaber 9||Mauro Diaz/Castillo 5|
|Shots (on goal)||Dom Dwyer 42 (15)||Fabian Castillo 42 (16)|
|Fouls committed||Dom Dwyer 27||Victor Ulloa 21|
|Fouls suffered||Dom Dwyer 41||Mauro Diaz 40|
|GAA||Tim Melia 0.63||Dan Kennedy 1.30|
|Wins||Tim Melia 5||Chris Seitz 4|
|Shutouts||Tim Melia 5||Kennedy/Seitz 3|
|Saves||Tim Melia 20||Dan Kennedy 19|
Team stats (2015 MLS regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (stats as of June 30, 2015)
7-3-6, 27 pts
(5th in West)
7-5-5, 26 pts
(6th in West)
|Goals scored||1.56 (1st)||1.24 (10th)|
|Goals conceded||1.06 (6th)||1.35 (t-14th)|
|Shots||12.7 (9th)||10.1 (18th)|
|Shooting accuracy||31.3% (18th)||36.0% (6th)|
|Assists||1.81 (2nd)||1.24 (9th)|
|Chances created||10.6 (4th)||7.9 (17th)|
|Fouls committed||12.4 (14th)||12.1 (16th)|
|Fouls suffered||11.4 (16th)||12.4 (12th)|
|Successful passes||290 (15th)||278 (17th)|
|Possession||50.1% (10th)||47.3% (17th)|
|Shots faced||9.4 (1st)||11.8 (10th)|
|Saves||2.4 (15th)||2.1 (20th)|
Recent #SKCvFCD meetings
- All competitions record vs. FC Dallas: 24-21-10 (1-0-0 in Open Cup)
- Home games (at Sporting Park): 14-8-6 (2-1-1)
|3/25/12||W 2-1||Sporting Park||
SKC comes from behind, Kamara
scores winner in 89th minute
|6/22/13||T 2-2||Toyota Stadium||
DAL erases 2-0 deficit with
goals in 88th & 90th minutes
|3/15/14||T 1-1||Sporting Park||
Hedges scores in 90th minute
to cancel out Collin opener
|3/14/15||L 1-3||Toyota Stadium||
Castillo adds to Perez brace,
Espinoza on target for SKC
|5/29/15||W 4-0||Sporting Park||
Nemeth, Feilhaber, Ellis and
and Zusi score in rout.