"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation, giving a statistical preview of every Sporting KC match.
$50B+ The NHTSA estimate of impaired-driving crash costs.
Sporting Kansas City (3-0-3, 12 points) and FC Dallas (3-0-2, 11 points) put their unbeaten records on the line at 7 p.m. CT Saturday in Frisco, Texas. Three hours of live television coverage at Toyota Stadium will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT on FOX Sports Kansas City Plus and FOX Sports Go, while listeners can follow the action live on Sports Radio 810 WHB (English) and La Grande 1340 AM (Spanish).
We take a statistical look at the marquee matchup in our By The Numbers preview...
- Sporting KC and FC Dallas are the only remaining unbeaten teams in MLS.
- Sporting KC is 1-4-3 in its last eight games at Toyota Stadium, with their lone win coming in June 2011 by a 4-1 scoreline.
- Sporting KC and FC Dallas last met at Toyota Stadium in August 2016, battling to a 2-2 stalemate. Forwards Tesho Akindele and Maxi Urruti scored for FC Dallas, while Dom Dwyer bagged a second-half brace for the visitors.
- Sporting KC has scored 10 goals in its last five road matches at FC Dallas, going 1-2-2 during the stretch.
- The home side in the series is 7-0-4 in the last 11 meetings across all competitions.
- Sporting KC forward Dom Dwyer has seven goals in his last seven appearances versus FC Dallas in all competitions.
- Sporting KC midfielder Benny Feilhaber has four goals and seven assists in his last eight appearances versus FC Dallas in all competitions.
- 2017 MLS record: 3-0-2, 11 points (3rd in West)
- 2017 MLS home record: 2-0-0 (4 GF, 1 GA)
- Last match: T 1-1 at San Jose Earthquakes on April 14
- Led by head coach Oscar Pareja, FC Dallas leads MLS with 54 regular season wins since the start of 2014. During that time, their .612 winning percentage (54-30-23) is also a league-best.
- FC Dallas has a league-best 38-7-7 home record since the start of 2014 (regular season).
- FC Dallas has conceded three goals through five matches, second fewest in MLS behind Sporting KC.
- Since the start of 2016, FC Dallas has allowed just 0.9 goals per game when center backs Matt Hedges and Walker Zimmerman start together. When one of the two doesn't start, Dallas has conceded 1.6 goals per game.
- U.S. international midfielder Kellyn Acosta leads FC Dallas with five goals in all competitions, having scored just two in all of 2016.
- Forward Maxi Urruti leads FC Dallas with three goals in league play, having finished with a team-best nine MLS goals in 2016.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2017 MLS record: 3-0-3, 12 points (2nd in West)
- 2017 MLS away record: 1-0-2 (1 GF, 0 GA)
- Last match: W 1-0 at Portland Timbers on April 15
- Sporting KC is just the fourth team in league history to go the first six games of a season without trailing (1997 D.C. United, 1999 FC Dallas, 2010 LA Galaxy).
- Sporting KC has earned four straight road shutouts in the regular season dating back to 2016, tied for the all-time club record.
- Sporting KC has conceded a league-low 0.33 goals per game and leads MLS with four shutouts.
- Sporting KC is third in MLS with 13.8 shots per game while also allowing a league-low 8.5 shots per game.
- Sporting KC's current six-game unbeaten run is the third-longest streak to start a season in club history (12 games in 2000; seven games in 2012).
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia leads MLS with four shutouts and a 0.33 goals against average. His 81.6 save percentage also ranks first among keepers who have faced at least 20 shots on target.
Milestones and Miscellany
- Midfielder Benny Feilhaber is one shy of his 150th career appearance for Sporting KC in all competitions.
- Forward Dom Dwyer is one shy of his 13th career game-winning goal in the MLS regular season, which would tie Preki's club record.
- Defender Graham Zusi is one shy of his 50th career assist in the MLS regular season.
Team stats (2017 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (source: Opta)
|Category (per game)||Sporting KC||FC Dallas|
|Goals scored||1.00 (t-18th)||1.40 (9th)|
|Goals conceded||0.33 (1st)||0.60 (2nd)|
|Shots||13.8 (t-3rd)||11.4 (t-13th)|
|Shots on goal||4.2 (t-11th)||3.6 (18th)|
|Passing accuracy||80.2 (7th)||74.3 (17th)|
|Possession||54.0 (8th)||40.3 (21st)|
|Duels won||55.3 (6th)||58.0 (2nd)|
|Tackles won||12.2 (18th)||14.2 (7th)|
|Interceptions||13.5 (10th)||13.0 (16th)|
|Fouls committed||11.5 (14th)||11.2 (15th)|
|Shots faced||8.5 (1st)||11.6 (10th)|
Recent #FCDvSKC meetings (all competitions)
- Regular season record vs. FC Dallas: 23-21-12 (84 GF, 88 GA)
- Regular season road record at FC Dallas: 9-13-5 (31 GF, 53 GA)
|03/14/2015||L 1-3||A||MLS||Feilhaber assists Espinoza in defeat|
|05/29/2015||W 4-0||H||MLS||Zusi goal and 2 assists, Feilhaber goal|
|07/01/2015||W 6-2||H||Open Cup||Dwyer scores club-record four goals|
|09/18/2015||W 3-1||H||MLS||Feilhaber scores two, Dwyer adds third|
|04/17/2016||L 1-2||A||MLS||Barrios and Rosales score after Olum's opener|
|06/19/2016||W 2-0||H||MLS||Olum and Feilhaber score late in first half|
|08/13/2016||T 2-2||A||MLS||Dwyer brace cancels out Akindele and Urruti goals|
|03/11/2017||T 0-0||H||MLS||Dwyer and Blessing go close in scoreless draw|