"By The Numbers" is a season-long series sponsored by The Kansas Department of Transportation, giving a statistical preview of every Sporting KC match.
58.2% Motorcyclists who were wearing helmets at time of crash in 2017 in Kansas.
A compelling interconference clash beckons Friday as Sporting Kansas City (3-5-6, 15 points) ventures north of the border to face Toronto FC (5-6-3, 18 points) at BMO Field. The contest will air live on FOX Sports Kansas City Plus, FOX Sports Midwest Plus and FOX Sports GO, while ESPN 94.5 FM and ESPN Deportes KC 1480 AM will carry local radio broadcasts. In conjunction with the match, fans of all ages are invited to attend Sporting’s annual First Friday Party from 5-10 p.m. CT in the Kansas City Crossroads Arts District (2020 Baltimore Ave.).
Sporting have just one win to show from their previous 10 league fixtures, but history appears to be on Manager Peter Vermes' side heading into Friday. Sporting are unbeaten in nine straight MLS meetings against Toronto and have enjoyed plenty of success at BMO Field over the last decade. We take a statistical look at the matchup in our newest edition of By The Numbers.
- Sporting hold a distinct upper hand in the regular-season series, going 14-4-7 overall and 5-3-4 at Toronto.
- Sporting are 11-1-4 in their last 16 meetings with Toronto, including 6-0-3 in their last nine.
- Toronto last defeated Sporting on March 9, 2013, at Rogers Centre.
- Sporting are 4-0-3 in their previous seven matches at BMO Field, with their last loss at the venue coming on April 26, 2009.
- Toronto's 14 losses to Sporting are tied for their second-most against any MLS opponent in club history.
- Sporting's five road wins in Toronto are the second-most in MLS history behind D.C. United's eight.
- 2019 MLS record: 5-6-3 (18 points, 7th in Eastern Conference)
- 2019 MLS home record: 3-3-2 (16 GF, 13 GA)
- Last MLS match: T 0-1 at Vancouver Whitecaps FC on May 31
- Last 5 MLS matches: 0-3-2, 2 points (L-T-L-L-T)
- Toronto began the season 5-2-1 but are 0-4-2 in their last six matches since May 8. That is the longest active winless draught in MLS.
- Toronto are 0-3-1 in their last four home games at BMO Field.
- Toronto have scored nine goals in the final 15 minutes of matches this season, tied for the most in MLS.
- Toronto have three losses when scoring the first goal this season (3-3-1), the most in MLS, but are 4-0-0 when leading at halftime.
- Toronto rank second in MLS with a shooting accuracy of 52.4% and fourth with a shot conversion rate of 12.8%.
- Toronto leads MLS in passing accuracy (86.4%) and ranks third in average possession (56.3%).
- Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo has five goals and six assists in 11 MLS appearances this season, ranking fourth in the league with 44 chances created.
- Toronto will be without regular starters Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley and Jonathan Osorio due to international duty.
Sporting Kansas City
- 2019 MLS record: 3-5-6, 15 points (10th in Western Conference)
- 2019 MLS away record: 0-3-3 (5 GF, 10 GA)
- Last MLS match: T 1-1 at Houston Dynamo on June 1
- Last 5 MLS matches: 1-2-2, 5 points (L-T-W-L-T)
- Sporting's 29 regular season wins over Canadian opponents (29-11-14) are the most among U.S.-based MLS clubs.
- Sporting's 11 regular season wins in Canada (11-7-8) are the second most among U.S.-based MLS clubs behind D.C. United's 12.
- Sporting are tied with Toronto for third in MLS with 1.71 goals scored per game.
- Midfielder Yohan Croizet has a goal and two assists in his last three MLS appearances.
- Midfielder Felipe Gutierrez leads Sporting in duels won (76) and tackles won (25) while ranking second on the team in chances created (20).
- Midfielder Ilie Sanchez is the only Sporting player to appear in all 20 matches this season (including Concacaf Champions League).
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia has saved both of the penalties he has faced this season in MLS play.
- Sporting will be without leading scorers Krisztian Nemeth and Johnny Russell due to international duty. Nemeth and Russell have bagged seven MLS goals apiece.
- Sporting has just one shutout this season, the second-fewest in MLS behind Portland's zero.
- Sporting are the only Western Conference club without an away win this season (0-3-3).
Milestones and Miscellany
- Defender Jimmy Medranda is one shy of his 100th appearance for Sporting in all competitions.
- Goalkeeper Tim Melia is one regular-season appearance away from becoming the club’s all-time appearance leader among goalkeepers with 129, overtaking Jimmy Nielsen.
Recent #TORvSKC regular season meetings
- Regular season record vs. Toronto FC: 14-4-7
- Regular season road record at Toronto FC: 5-3-4
|08/08/2015||W 3-1||Away||Benny Feilhaber and Krisztian Nemeth score in impressive road win|
|03/20/2016||W 1-0||Home||Brad Davis comes off the bench to score Sporting's winner|
|03/31/2017||T 0-0||Away||Sporting limit Toronto to a season-low two shots on target|
|07/07/2018||T 2-2||Home||Ilie Sanchez and Johnny Russell cancel out Jonathan Osorio and Jordan Hamilton goals|
Team stats (2019 regular season)
MLS rank in parenthesis (as of June 5)
|Category (per game)||Sporting||Toronto|
|Goals scored||1.71 (t-3rd)||1.71 (t-3rd)|
|Goals conceded||1.79 (18th)||1.64 (17th)|
|Shots||14.1 (7th)||13.5 (11th)|
|Shots on goal||5.1 (4th)||5.4 (3rd)|
|Shooting accuracy||46.2% (8th)||52.4% (2nd)|
|Shot conversion rate||12.1% (7th)||12.8% (4th)|
|Passing accuracy||84.1% (3rd)||86.4% (1st)|
|Possession||55.5% (6th)||56.3% (3rd)|
|Chances created||9.3 (13th)||10.9 (4th)|
|Duels won||47.8 (24th)||48.6 (22nd)|
|Tackles won||9.2 (21st)||9.8 (16th)|
|Interceptions||8.9 (22nd)||8.4 (23rd)|
|Clearances||17.7 (14th)||13.7 (22nd)|
|Fouls committed||12.1 (11th)||9.4 (3rd)|
|Fouls suffered||10.6 (15th)||11.3 (12th)|
|Shots faced||12.9 (11th)||11.8 (8th)|