The Sporting KC Show Podcast, dropping throughout the season on Sports Radio 810 WHB, is now available on Spotify and iTunes. With Nate Bukaty and Carter Augustine hosting the weekly program, Sporting fans have a place to go to catch up on club storylines, player achievements, guest interviews and more.
A new episode of the Sporting KC Show Podcast dropped Tuesday night as hosts Nate Bukaty, Aly Trost and Carter Augustine reflected on Sporting's pivotal home win over Minnesota United FC, recapped a remarkable Heineken Rivalry Week highlighted by a barnburning El Trafico, and looked ahead to Saturday's clash against the Houston Dynamo.
Sporting winger Gerso Fernandes also joined the show, discussing the club's recent success and confirming to listeners that his newborn son G.J. has a perfect 2-0-0 record as a spectator at Children's Mercy Park. Needless to say, G.J. will be in attendance Saturday when Sporting hosts Houston in a Western Conference battle that wields a must-win vibe.
- 2:00 — Sporting snatched a last-gasp 1-0 victory over Minnesota thanks to an 88th-minute winner from Erik Hurtado. The result kept Manager Peter Vermes' men within six points of the seventh and final playoff spot heading into the final seven games of the regular season.
- 9:00 — The El Trafico derby between LAFC and LA Galaxy certainly didn't disappoint as the sides scrapped to a pulsating 3-3 draw on Sunday night in downtown Los Angeles. Zlatan Ibrahimovic continued his derby dominance with a brace, but LAFC fought back with two goals from former Sporting midfielder Latif Blessing.
- 14:00 — The hosts discuss the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final, which saw Atlanta United FC edge Ike Opara and Minnesota by a 2-1 scoreline at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
- 17:00 — Latif Blessing has developed into one of the top midfielders in MLS, having joined LAFC from Sporting in late 2017 via the MLS Expansion Draft.
- 25:30 — Gerso Fernandes joins the program, giving the backstory on his famous bat-swinging celebration.
- 29:30 — Gerso's newborn son, G.J., absolutely must attend all of Sporting's remaining home matches with his mom Emmy. After all, the team has won in each of his first two appearances at Children's Mercy Park. The winger also gives some father advice to Seth Sinovic, who is expecting his first child with wife Lauren later this year.
- 33:30 — Gerso says Sporting's motivation to climb above the playoff line is palpable on a daily basis, as evidenced by the intensity of training at Pinnacle. The winger hopes his team's winning momentum can continue Saturday when the Dynamo visit Kansas City.
- 33:30 — Gerso lauds the impact of center forward Erik Hurtado, who has scored two game-winning goals this month after missing the first half of the season through injury.
Listen to the full podcast below.
Sporting and Houston will lock horns at 7:30 p.m. CT Saturday with live coverage on FOX Sports Kansas City Plus, FOX Sports Midwest Plus, FOX Sports GO, ESPN 94.5 FM and ESPN Deportes KC 1480 AM. Tickets for the game are available at SeatGeek.com and the first 7,500 fans in attendance will receive Sporting KC branded sling grips for their mobile phones courtesy of U.S. Bank.