For the first time in the 25-year history of Major League Soccer, the month of February will mark the start of regular season play. On Feb. 29, clubs across the United States and Canada will step between the white lines with hopes of collecting three points to begin 2020.
A delectable opening day of MLS action will see Sporting Kansas City visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 9:30 p.m. CT, giving supporters their first real look at Manager Peter Vermes’ side since last October.
As the anticipated date approaches, SportingKC.com is rolling out a 28-day countdown to first kick, offering a comprehensive preview of the season ahead. From key storylines and positional breakdowns to new fan initiatives and perks at Children’s Mercy Park, our Countdown to Kickoff series highlights the many reasons to be pumped for Sporting’s 2020 campaign. To visit the series homepage as it expands, head to SportingKC.com/countdown.
While Sporting Kansas City players and coaches have begun preparations for the 2020 season with two-a-day trainings in Arizona, the club's front office has been hard at work to deliver the biggest concessions refresh in Children's Mercy Park history.
Over the last month, Sporting has announced a series of partnerships with revered local establishments to bring the best tastes of Kansas City to the stadium.
A word to the wise: when you head to a Sporting match this year, come ready to chow down. Grab a napkin and let's explore all of the new food and beverage staples set to debut on March 7.
Locally renowned for its specialty burgers, BRGR will occupy the concession stand at section 129 of Children’s Mercy Park, offering a variety of fan-favorite menu items at every Sporting match. BRGR’s in-stadium menu will include signature burgers, traditional fries and tots, a premium chicken sandwich and the popular Beyond Burger, the first plant-based protein in the stadium.
Taco Republic, a Kansas City-based taqueria known for its “street-style” tacos, will operate out of its signature food truck on the south concourse of Children’s Mercy Park. Taco Republic will serve a plethora of popular items at every Sporting home match, including select tacos, chips, salsa, guacamole and margaritas.
A primary component of this partnership will see Sporting and Parisi Coffee launch a unique line of coffee blends that pay homage to Parisi’s Italian heritage and commitment to the arts while also aligning with Sporting Kansas City’s rich supporter culture. Sporting and Parisi will also debut a special-edition shandy—a refreshing blend of coffee, lemonade and vanilla. Set up in a kiosk on the stadium concourse, Parisi products will be available at all Sporting home matches.
Nationally acclaimed for its authentic Mexican cuisine, Port Fonda will be prominently placed inside the newly renovated Shield Club with a rotating menu that will include Port Fonda favorites like the chimichanga of the match, esquite asado and the Roselle Margarita.
The American Royal Barbecue concession stand will be featured prominently on the stadium concourse above section 127, serving classic barbecue fan-favorites such as pulled pork, brisket and burnt end sandwiches plus new creations like the burnt end nachos with molasses baked beans, cheese and onion strings. As a key component of the partnership, Sporting will donate a portion of the concession stand’s sales at every home match to the American Royal, which annually provides over 100 scholarships for academic excellence and hosts nearly 3,000 contestants in nationally recognized competitive events.
Brat & Brau – Section 101
- The Frankfurter – Sauerkraut, beer cheese and caramelized onion on a pretzel bun
- Brat-chos – Nachos topped with sliced bratwurst, sauerkraut, beer cheese and caramelized onion
- Brauhaus Giant Pretzel – served with beer cheese and craft mustards
Kickin’ Chicken – Section 114
- Kickin’ Chicken + Curly Fries – a signature crispy chicken sandwich with fried pickles and moonshine sweet and spicy sauce on a biscuit
- Popcorn Chicken Basket – morsels of bite-sized fried chicken served with curly fries
- Southern Style Chicken Tenders, Curly Fries and more
World’s Kitchen – Section 117
- Chicken Curry Bowl or Wrap
- Falafel Bowl or Wrap (back by popular demand)
- Kimchi Curry Tots
The Market – Section 119
- Grab-and-go marketplace with sub sandwiches and wraps
- Salads and protein bento boxes
- Cookies, brownies, muffins, Danishes and scones
El Capitan – Section 122
- Nachos Supreme – Chicken or vegetable with beans, queso, salsa and sour cream
- El Capitan Nachos – Nachos Supreme topped with taquitos, empanadas and jalapeno poppers
- Street Tacos – Steak or vegetable with cilantro, onion, radish and citrus lime slaw