This offseason has been a bit different from the norm for Sporting Kansas City, prompting the front office to be proactive as a new decade begins. And with the 2020 campaign fast approaching, fans have more than a few things to be excited about as Children's Mercy Park prepares to up the ante on its matchday experience.
These are the prevailing themes in a new episode of The Nutmeg Podcast, which treats listeners to a detailed discussion between 610 Sports Radio host Josh Klingler and Sporting Kansas City President and CEO Jake Reid.
As Sporting prepares for its home opener on March 7 against rivals Houston Dynamo, Reid said this offseason will deliver more change than any other in recent memory. Supporters can expect a complete concessions refresh on food and beverage as well as upgrades in multiple spaces throughout Children's Mercy Park.
Reid also explains the role that Children's Mercy Park plays in the recruitment of players, with Sporting's technical staff pointing to the electric atmosphere as a key to attracting talent from abroad. He then addresses the topics of stadium expansion and the 2020 MLS schedule, which is more fan-friendly than ever and packed with Saturday home games.
Listen to the full podcast below.
Previous episodes of The Nutmeg Podcast
- Episode 1: Defender Seth Sinovic (Aug. 13)
- Episode 2: Midfielder Gianluca Busio (Aug. 27)
- Episode 3: Goalkeeper Tim Melia (Sept. 10)
- Episode 4: "Kitman" Mike Flaherty (Sept. 24)
- Episode 5: Midfielder Roger Espinoza (Oct. 8)
- Episode 6: Assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin (Oct. 22)
- Episode 7: Defender Jaylin Lindsey (Nov. 5)
- Episode 8: Chief Communications Officer Rob Thomson (Nov. 19)
- Episode 9: Manager Peter Vermes - Part 1 (Dec. 3)
- Episode 10: Manager Peter Vermes - Part 2 (Dec. 17)