The newest episode of the Nutmeg Podcast with 610 Sports Radio host Josh Klinger featured an inside-the-bubble update from Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes, whose team is stationed at Walt Disney World Resort for the historic and unprecedented MLS is Back Tournament in Florida.
Sporting dropped its Group D opener to Minnesota United FC by a 2-1 scoreline on Sunday, taking the lead through Khiry Shelton before conceding twice in second-half stoppage time. That result puts the impetus on Friday's contest against the Colorado Rapids, slated for 7 p.m. CT with live coverage on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, the ESPN app, Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM.
"I'm looking at the game we just played—what is it that we did good and what are the things that we can really learn from," Vermes said. "That's how I'm approaching it with the guys because we're basically starting our season all over again. We've got to take the next step to get (ourselves) to a place where it's not just that we're playing well, but we're also getting the result. At the end, getting the result is the most important thing."
Group D consists of Sporting, Minnesota, Colorado and Real Salt Lake, with Vermes' side set to close out the group stage July 22 against RSL. The top two finishers in the group are assured passage to the Round of 16, which begins on July 25. The third-place team also stands a chance of advancing, depending on the point totals of the third-place finishers in the other five groups.
"I think getting this tournament up and running was a huge coup for the league to get on TV and get games going," Vermes said. "I think you've also got to commend the players. This isn't an easy circumstance my any means. Staffs have worked extremely hard to get here and do what we're doing."
Listen to the full podcast below.
Previous episodes of The Nutmeg Podcast
- Episode 101: Defender Seth Sinovic (Aug. 13, 2019)
- Episode 102: Midfielder Gianluca Busio (Aug. 27, 2019)
- Episode 103: Goalkeeper Tim Melia (Sept. 10, 2019)
- Episode 104: "Kitman" Mike Flaherty (Sept. 24, 2019)
- Episode 105: Midfielder Roger Espinoza (Oct. 8, 2019)
- Episode 106: Assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin (Oct. 22, 2019)
- Episode 107: Defender Jaylin Lindsey (Nov. 5, 2019)
- Episode 108: Chief Communications Officer Rob Thomson (Nov. 19, 2019)
- Episode 109: Manager Peter Vermes - Part 1 (Dec. 3, 2019)
- Episode 110: Manager Peter Vermes - Part 2 (Dec. 17, 2019)
- Episode 111: President & CEO Jake Reid (Jan. 3, 2019)
- Episode 201: Defender Graham Zusi (Jan. 14, 2020)
- Episode 202: Goalkeeper Tim Melia and defender Cameron Duke (Jan. 29, 2020)
- Episode 203: Forward Khiry Shelton (Feb. 12, 2020)
- Episode 204: Forward Daniel Salloi (Feb. 25, 2020)
- Episode 205: Veterans Matt Besler, Roger Espinoza and Graham Zusi (March 10, 2020)
- Episode 206: Manager Peter Vermes talks COVID-19 (March 20, 2020)
- Episode 207: Forward Johnny Russell (March 26, 2020)
- Episode 208: Retired midfielder Benny Feilhaber (April 16, 2020)
- Episode 209: Midfielder and eMLS star Wan Kuzain (May 6, 2020)
- Episode 210: Retired goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen (May 19, 2020)
- Episode 211: Assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin (June 11, 2020)
- Episode 212: Midfielder Roger Espinoza (June 24, 2020)